Carp - we love to hate them but we also enjoy catching them

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Carp - we love to hate them but we also enjoy catching t

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:34 pm

Yes, I LOVE catching them, they put up a great fight and can be found in great numbers and often inhibit places where no other fish species can live, especially in urban areas, but imagine of there were NO Carp - then we could catch real fish, such as Yellowbelly, Cod, Macquarie Perch, etc. and the waterways in general would be in much better condition.

The thing that annoys me about Carp is that it's impossible to exert any real pressure on the population with a rod and reel - unlike other species such as Cod, where overfishing has led to a rapid decline in numbers.
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 pm

ChrisD wrote:Been scanning through the threads and thinking about my own fishing history and I think it is true to say that Carp are one fish that as fisher people we have a serious love/hate relationship with.
We all hate them for the damage they have done to the waterways and native species. :angry:
But how often do we decide to go out and target them, how many kids first caught carp and got hooked on fishing, when all else if off the bite it is the species we go looking for as the fall back catch. :)
It is the fish species we turn to for an almost guaranteed catch, and the chance of a big fish for some fun.
The forum is even holding carp bashes bring people together.
Freshwater fishers, Saltwater fishers, young and old - everyone seems to have a carp story, and most are told with a laugh or smile on the face.
Please don't get me wrong - carp are an introduced, notixous species and hopefully one we find a way to clear out of Australian waterways.
But if and when that day comes - will a part of us miss the Carp? :bite:
I have to agree with everything you said. I don't like the mud suckers for the damage they do but you must admit they are great fun on light gear and I have heard that mentioned on this forum many times :cheers:

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:22 am

When I was a young one, and far away from any saltwater or decent freshwater, I was thankful that the local creek was full of carp.
Without those carp, my fishing trips were limited to about 3 times a year with my father, due to his work.

I still have many great memories catching those mud suckers, they seemed even bigger when your a kid too ! .lol

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I like fishing them for fun, but they have got into way too many good waterways over the years .

Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Other Species”