Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by rb85 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:10 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:Im not sure how you will go stocking natives such as cod legally south of the great dividing range.
by not getting caught :rofl:
Well they are cheap enough to purchase.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm

4liters wrote:
rb85 wrote:Im not sure how you will go stocking natives such as cod legally south of the great dividing range.
by not getting caught :rofl:
Nuscani wrote:
What fish do you think will replace carp because when this amazing carp virus comes out they will all be dead soon. What should it be?
greyling, galaxias, eels, tupong, blackfish, smelt
Thanks mate :rofl:

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Nuscani wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Nuscani wrote:Just a question, i was carp fishing on the weekend and i was wondering what will happen if the carps are all culled, now that they make up 80% of all freshwater fish in Australia, creeks such as gardiners creek will be pretty much empty. So will that be the end of fishing creeks such as gardiners creek and others full of carp?
Unfortunately it would be near impossible to cull all the carp in our waterways. If we did somehow manage it, it would give native species a chance to repopulate.
That would take decades for native species to travel all the way into gardiners creek and other carp dominated creeks, unless the government spent alot of money to stock long creeks with native species, which I would love to happen but I don't think they would.
It wouldn't take that long at all. As 4Litres said most already hold natives. I did a fish survey in Dandenong Creek and we found several natives like southern pygmy perch, flathead gudgeon and galaxids, and that's just about the most polluted waterway in Melbourne. Also most Australian natives are surprisingly good dispersers, and recruitment into these small, interconnected waterways would be quite quick.

Nuscani

Post by Nuscani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Broomstick wrote:
Nuscani wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Nuscani wrote:Just a question, i was carp fishing on the weekend and i was wondering what will happen if the carps are all culled, now that they make up 80% of all freshwater fish in Australia, creeks such as gardiners creek will be pretty much empty. So will that be the end of fishing creeks such as gardiners creek and others full of carp?
Unfortunately it would be near impossible to cull all the carp in our waterways. If we did somehow manage it, it would give native species a chance to repopulate.
That would take decades for native species to travel all the way into gardiners creek and other carp dominated creeks, unless the government spent alot of money to stock long creeks with native species, which I would love to happen but I don't think they would.
It wouldn't take that long at all. As 4Litres said most already hold natives. I did a fish survey in Dandenong Creek and we found several natives like southern pygmy perch, flathead gudgeon and galaxids, and that's just about the most polluted waterway in Melbourne. Also most Australian natives are surprisingly good dispersers, and recruitment into these small, interconnected waterways would be quite quick.
Thanks mate, can't wait till the carp herpes virus is released!!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Broomstick wrote:
Nuscani wrote:
Broomstick wrote:
Hate to think what else you found in there, hope you had a long shower afterwards
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Headed out to the Warmies yesterday, and it was absolutely packed - shoulder-to-shoulder. I couldn't get a good spot so gave up after about an hour, fishless. Guessing that today would be much rather the same, I had no choice but to hit up Cherry Lake. Luckily, the weather was great and it was relatively quiet at CL. There were a few fishos about, but I was able to roll-up to my 'favourite spot' which was devoid of any other anglers. Within about 20 minutes my float submerged and I was back on the board in the fresh. Yes, it has been good catching some exotic saltwater species, but it was also good-fun reeling in a furious, fighting Carp on ultra-light gear. It went a bit quiet after that and I moved around a bit trying to hook into a couple more, but it was not to be.

So I'm trying a new strategy here: Warmies during the week and CL on weekends, to avoid peak-hour fishing times. Getting the best of both-worlds! I actually tried the Warmies on the way home, but didn't do any good...

+1

2015/16 Total: 62 (Cumulative Total: 1499)

Carp

These exist in unsuspected numbers in many places, but they are difficult to catch (and in our opinion) highly unsatisfactory as a table fish, mainly because of the extra assortment of bones in carp. Like the tench, they are still-water fish, but are not such bottom feeders. They move in and around weeds and are very shy. Use light tackle and a quill float.

From the Concise Handbook of Australian Fishing (1947) by “Taggerty”, National Handbook No.19, Robertson & Mullens Limited, Melbourne
Attachments
20170226_152449.jpg
IMG_5926.jpg
IMG_5924.jpg
Concise handbook of Australian Fishing
IMG_5924.jpg (555.94 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Last edited by Cornacarpio on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Nice. I got a few myself out of some drain FV member Whiskers told me about. Surprising how many fish can live in such a small waterway, and how big they can grow.

Need to bring a net next time though because lying on the bank with the rod held above me in my left hand while trying to grab a carp with my right isn't much fun. Never really fished with a float before but it's kinda fun, it also seems to be a good way to cover a lot of ground by letting it go with the wind or the current
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Nice work CC :thumbsup:

marckyg123

Post by marckyg123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 am

Im thinking of going down to gardiners creek this weekend where is the best place to park??

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:47 am

Deakin University should have free parking over the weekend

Return to “Other Species”