Has liked: 72 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Nice one :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Popped down to the creek today for a bit of a fish. For whatever reason, I wasn't feeling confident of catching a fish at all. I noticed someone left their can of corn kernels where I set-up camp. As I haven't used corn for ages, I thought "stuff it, why not?". I loaded up my fly hook with 2 or 3 pieces of corn kernels with my float on, paying scant attention to where I cast. My diffidence was soon overcome. Within literally 90 seconds my rod headed for the water like a bull to a red rag (I wasn't paying attention to my float). On picking up my rod, I thought I had a trophy Carp on of mighty proportions. The Carp seemed to go on what felt like a 100m run. With my my reel 'zinging', the spool was down to the 'new stuff'. At one stage I honestly thought I was going to run out of line. I was praying he wouldn't get off - I'd have to replace my line! I had to wade into the centre of the creek to negate the possibility of him snagging me, and I slowly wore him down, inch by inch. When I eventually laid eyes on him, I was incredulous as to how 'small' he was. By the way he fought I thought he'd be twice that size, and a possible personal best. Nevertheless, I was very happy to get one so quick. It went a bit quiet after that and I tried a few other spots, including the spot I tried yesterday with floating bread crust, but couldn't snare another one. I had one additional bite and that was it.

After a while I got a bit bored and scouted the creek for golf balls. I found close to 100! If anyone's into golf and is after some ethically sourced, recycled balls let me know!

A big thank-you to whoever left the corn down at the creek! :D

:water:

+1

2018/19 Season: 27 (1670)

Fishing with Floats

Float fishing can be applied to many forms of fishing. But, whenever a float is used the fishing proceeds in a tense atmosphere as the angler waits ready to strike immediately the float pops under.

Whether it be the small boy with a bottle cork tied on a handline fishing from a wharf, or the rock fisherman with a bobby cork outfit, the float is the one small piece of equipment that can turn the period of waiting for a bite from one of boredom to one of electrified anticipation.

In quite a number of places the float can mean the difference between a decent feed of fish and a poor catch with much lost tackle.

From Anglers’ Omnibus, 18th Edition, Compiled and Edited by Rodger Hungerford, Budget Books, Melbourne Australia, p.48
Attachments
49900059_343654549808920_294096141836877824_n (1).jpg
This one fought like a steam train!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 am

Nice report.
Sounds like it was a great fight.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Headed down to the creek today in warm and humid conditions - in other words, ideal fishing weather! Or so I thought. The fish didn't quite seem to think so - often sniffing, then refusing my bait. I tried a few spots, and managed to entice one bite with my new favourite technique - floating bread crust - but he wasn't well hooked, gave about 3 tugs and took off.

In a rather unfortunate instance, my phone fell out of my pocket while I was traversing the creek and fell into the water. I quickly grabbed it, but it doesn't look good. The screen went blank. I hope to God it dries out in this hot weather (tomorrow).

On the way back, I met up with some lads I saw fishing earlier, so I decided to join them for a bit. They seem to be having the same experience as me - casting at Carp, only for them to refuse it. About to leave, I thought I'd give it one more go. I saw a largish Carp swimming in the shallows at my feet and then it took off swimming to my right (at the time, I estimated it to be about 60cm). I cast out - bread with float - 5m right in front of its swim path. Unlike every single other time today, the Carp accepted the offering, my float bobbled, and I knew I was 'on'. It gave a pretty decent account of itself (though not as furious as the one I got last time) and I was hoping to hell it wouldn't get off. I yelled out to the lads "I'm on" to which they duly offered their landing net. After a good 5 minute tussle, the Carp finally succumbed. I was so lucky to catch it. My hook was mangled (almost straightened) and my leader snapped after it was netted. I was also lucky the guys were there with a proper landing net, as opposed to my butterfly net. I was also super lucky they were there to take a photo of it. Otherwise I'd be writing this report like "I got a 74cm cm Carp down at the creek but my phone fell into the water so I didn't get a pic". Yeah right. "Photos or or didn't happen" Am I right?

I haven't caught a heap of Carp this year, but have been quite successful in getting a few 70cm+ models - something I have traditionally struggled with. Looking back, I seem to have had more luck with the bigger models since I've been rolling with the 4000 sized reels. Fishing light is all good and well, but I think with big Carp, you're stacking the odds in their favour if you use too light a gear, something which I'm no longer a fan of.

:banana:

+1

2018/19 Season: 28 (1671)
Attachments
50035296_562821227517447_7364728332534939648_n (1).jpg
An elongated male of 74cm

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 am

Great read as always :thumbsup:

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:06 am

The mongrels can fight exceptionally well at times and really are up there near the top in that regards against many other freshies, pound for pound. It sucks they're such a horrible fish otherwise. Good one mate.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:35 am

Try parking your phone in a tub of (uncooked) rice. Google for more specifics.

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:Try parking your phone in a tub of (uncooked) rice. Google for more specifics.
Yep, on this now. Going to try switching it on tomorrow...

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Headed to Mansfield for the weekend for a funeral. It's become a bit of a joke with the family that we only visit when there's a funeral. Unfortunately, there's a kernel of truth in every joke.

On the way there (Thursday), we stopped by Bonnie Doon for the obligatory 'fish-before-we-arrive'. We only stayed for about 30 minutes, as my Dad was in a bit of a hurry to get there after our journey from the other side of the state. Virtually as soon as put my rod in (loaded with corn) I got tugged off big-time. My recent run of slaying 70cm Carp had come to a halt. I had no doubt at all this unit would have been (well) above 70cms. When I reeled in the other rod - loaded with chicken - there was a dead Redfin on there. It tried to devour the bait that was almost as large as it was. Wasn't even big enough to move the rod.

The next day after funeral proceedings (Friday), I headed around to nearby Goughs Bay on Lake Eildon. I've been told this isn't necessarily the best place to fish, but being unfamiliar with the area, and being so close by, I decided to give it a go. After a bit of a wait, I got 2 Carp - 1 x 48cm and 1 x 28cm.

On Saturday, I went for a drive to try and find somewhere 'new' and decent to fish. I was told there was good fishing up near Jamison on the Lake (Howqua Arm?). Again, being unfamiliar with the area I couldn't really find anywhere. I drove to Jamison, saw the river, but did a U-bolt back. I turned left somewhere hoping to find the Lake (all the roads seemed to be marked 'no access to water') but found a river (which I think turned out to be the Goulburn). I tied a lure on and went spinning for a while, hoping to catch a Trout, but kept spotting Carp everywhere. Also, walking along the bank was a pain the arse as I kept sinking down in mud up to my knees. Keen to find somewhere to sit down and fish, I headed back to Goughs Bay. After waiting very patiently, I eventually got one nearly the exact same size as the night before in the same spot.

After returning to the family farm and a bit of research on the internets, I found out that the Howqua River, which I drove past, it is a bit of a Trout angling mecca. I didn't give it a second thought driving over it (despite someone telling me to give it a go) as it looked rather shallow and nondescript from the bridge. Thinking I would kick myself if I didn't at least give it a go, while we came all this way (not to mention staying about 15 minutes from there) I arranged with my Dad to take the car before we leave for a quick fish.

Excited at the prospect of catching my first Trout for a while, I tied on a lure and headed straight under the bridge. After a few casts, I noticed a fish tentatively follow my lure. "OMG! A Trout" I thought. On closer inspection, it was a bloody Carp! Feeling dejected, I moved downstream, wading from hole to hole. The process would repeat: spot a fish - Carp, spot a fish - Carp. In nearly every hole above knee-deep there was a Carp. As much as I love catching Carp, they don't belong in such a beautiful mountain stream. It really was a shame to seem them in the crystal clear shallow water. Figuring that a Trout was now very unlikely, I headed back to the car and swapped a lure for a hook - loaded with 3 corn kernels. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, right? I had a feeling I might clean up here, thinking it would be like shooting a fish in a barrel, but it was not to be. Actively feeding Carp were 'actively' avoiding my bait - never a good sign! I'm not sure if it was the crystal clear water that makes them ultra skittish, or whether it was the sunscreen I applied before, but despite seeing plenty of Carp, I couldn't tempt one.

I headed back under the bridge to do some 'sit down' fishing, but a change in fortune didn't materialise. A Howqua River Carp (or Trout) is still on the 'to-do' list.

+3

2018/19 Season: 31 (1674)
Attachments
49664761_531492750693363_6166447867293597696_n (1).jpg
50682889_802508693426271_2918098804940996608_n (1).jpg
50683981_802658006736237_6695452920353128448_n.jpg
50309889_540236059790570_3262871798479323136_n.jpg
51052075_239030433678767_560798071726800896_n.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin