Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 am

Nice one CC!
What a fattie!!!

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 am

Nice cc. Im sure youve mentioned it in here before, but how do you dispose of them down there? I vaguely remember you saying you buried in your garden, but ran out of garden/land lolol.

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 am

I throw them back!

(After cutting them several times so they sink - which is in line with the fisheries guidelines these days).

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Texas wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 pm
That's a big carp, what's your PB??
Gra
My PB is 79.99 cm :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:17 pm

That’s one big carp! Nice :tu:

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:34 pm

The long weekend should have resulted in a Carp-fishing extravaganza right? Wrong.

On Friday I headed out briefly and hooked in a healthy 40cm Carp that snagged me on a stick. When I went to de-snag it, he got off. It was my only bite for the day.

Saturday - I stayed in and watched the first half of the 2019 AFL Toyota Grand Final. It was fairly obvious who was going to win, and a very unremarkable game to boot, so I headed down to the creek during the second half to try my luck. Saw a few swimming about, but had no luck. Tried another spot just before dark, got a few hits, but nothing solid.

Sunday - I headed back to the spot where I got a few hits last night. Was quiet early on, but then my rod went BANG! Solid hookup and had a fairly solid unit on. Unfortunately, he got snagged and took off with my leader! The creek can be a cruel place. I got a sense that would be the only chance I get in that particular spot, and after giving it another half-an-hour or so, that turned out to be the case. I saw a few carp sunning about in another spot as I was riding my bike along the creek, so I decided to rig-up a float. Again, I got 'a hit' but no cigar. After that it was time to try another spot, which is my 'go-to' spot. I could see the Carp swimming around in the waist-deep water, but they seemed completely uninterested in my bait. I must confess, I got a bit bored and took one of my rods to try a spot nearby, trying to catch my first Carp for the weekend. After about 10 minutes or so, I saw a carp splashing about on the surface about 40m away. It didn't take me long to realise it was attached to my other rod! So I sprinted over and the battle began. It tried everything in its power to snag me, including swimming around rocks and submerged sticks, but I've never been afraid to get a little wet if it means catching a Carp - especially after two fish-less days! The fight was absolutely awesome, with him peeling off line at a rapid rate of knots. Carp really are an underrated sportfish in my humble opinion. Eventually, I was able to net him and he came in at about 68cm. The first Mirror of the season and the first one on a float! Not a monster by any stretch of the imagination, but not too bad either. And certainly better than spending the best part of 3 days without a fish!

2019/20: 4 (1715)
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Snorkers

Post by Snorkers » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:05 pm

That is a great way to open the season. I have been lurking on these Carp threads over the Winter and it is just about time I got out and caught a few. Been a few years since I last regularly dipped a line but was a keen angler when back in the motherland. Just need to find a nice little Carp spot near home.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm

Snorkers wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:05 pm
That is a great way to open the season. I have been lurking on these Carp threads over the Winter and it is just about time I got out and caught a few. Been a few years since I last regularly dipped a line but was a keen angler when back in the motherland. Just need to find a nice little Carp spot near home.
Welcome Snorkers :w: :w:
What suburb are you in???
Plenty of advice on this forum
Cheers Gra

Snorkers

Post by Snorkers » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi Texas, I am Mornington based. Not managed to find any good looking spots close by. Not adverse to driving but it would be nice to have something on the doorstep.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:39 pm

Probably Patterson lakes above the wall is your closest spot. Lots of big ones in that part

Return to “Other Species”