Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
vr84

Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Post by vr84 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi Guys, I've taken up fishing as of around 4 months ago, however I am struggling to land anything except carp. Seems like some of the local areas where redfin and trout used to be popular the amount has diminished significantly, however all places I have been there is no problem finding huge carp.

Places I have tried to far are as follows (carp excluded from suspected species lists because they are basically everywhere):

Albert Park:
Aiming for Golden Perch and Trout.
Bait Used: (Scrub worms, live yabbies, cooked shrimp), Spinner lures (Super Vibrax / Celtas), Soft Plastics (Z man grub, Squidgie wrigglers, both using s-factor)
Visits: 5, Catches: None, Lost lures to large carp in the divided shallows. No other bites.

Taylors Lakes (Main lake and another a short walk away)
Used to be stocked with redfin and trout but not in the last decade, water quality is recovering so stocking can begin again for trout, still heaps of huge carp, small perch (silver in colour) caught on bread by an asian fisherman beside me one time.
Bait used: Scrub worms, Corn, Cooked Shrimp, Spinner lures (Super Vibrax / Celtas), Soft Plastics (Z man grub, Squidgie wrigglers, both using s-factor)
Visits 5, Catches: 1 australian eel from fresh scrubworm on sinker. No other bites.

Niddrie Lake (New lake, 3 years old, unfortunately already packed with carp)
Stocked with rainbow trout twice yearly.
Bait Used: Dead Scrub worms (refrigerated), corn, powerbait chartreuse (never using this again), cooked shrimp, Spinner lures (Super Vibrax / Celtas), Soft Plastics (Z man grub, Squidgie wrigglers, yabbie imitation with crawfish spray on scent).
Visits: 5, Catches: 1 carp on a dead scrub worm. Single previous bite suspected by a carp under the jetty, no hook up.

Rowville Lakes:
Stocked with rainbow trout yearly, redfin rumoured to be around.
Bait Used: Corn, Cheese / bread mix, powerbait (I'll repeat, never again), soft plastic yabbie imitation with crawfish spray scent, Spinner lures (Super Vibrax)
Visits: 3, Catches 0, No bites.

Lake Auravale:
Rumored to be a redfin hotspot, no idea on other species here at the moment.
Bait used: Live scrub worms, Spinner lures (Super Vibrax).
Visits: 1 (Short visit, 2 hours at sunset), Catches: 0, No bites.

Karkarook Park:
Rumored to be a redfin hotspot, also trout stocked.
Bait used: Powerbait (finally ran out of the horrible stuff here), corn with home made burley (flour / breadcrumbs / water / strawberry essence), Spinner lures (Super Vibrax).
Visits: 2, Catches: 0, No bites.

Brimbank Park (Maribyrnong River, freshwater):
Rumoured to be the odd redfin and trout around.
Bait used: Soft Plastics (Z man grub, Squidgie wrigglers) with megastrike original scent.
Visits: 2, Catches: 0, No bites.

This is basically all the lake / stream fishing I have done so far, the above is accurate for the last 2 months, before this I was estuary fishing. So far all to no avail in terms of landing a redfin or trout as I am hoping to catch. Based on this is there anything people would recommend for these places that may lead to something a bit more promising? Or any information on other lakes / public accessible dams with redfin / trout would be much appreciated. At the moment I am thinking about visiting a local trout farm to try out different gear and see if I can find which ones work better, but seems there is nowhere as plentiful to try out the same thing with redfin.

Rods I am using are a 7 foot heavy rod with 6lb straight flurocarbon, along with a 6ft light spin rod with 6lbs monofilament.

Could the recent heat waves over the last few weeks be contributing to the trout / redfin seeking deeper waters at present?

Any advice / tips / assistance is much appreciated, feel free to reply or PM :)

mcmonier

Re: Redfin locations? (Melbourne & Surrounds)

Post by mcmonier » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Give sugarloaf a go mate.
I've caught a few reddies there on spinners and hb's.
There are trout in there aswell.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:34 pm

Rowville - use worms. almost guarantee you'll get a redfin because they are there in plague proportions, mostly small around 10cm-20cm though. They don't seem to like lures there as much as some other lakes, but good ones to use are very small SP grubs/critters around 1-2". Small hardbodies will usually get followed but not many takes. Best spots are in Cogley lake for a chance at slightly bigger models, and Sutton lake near the playground. Go at dawn or just before dusk for best results.

Karkarook - a bit of a hit and miss, but usually will get at least 1 at the bottom of the pier. Only ever caught them on lures, I've had times where I catch non stop using SP grubs and blades and everyone around doesn't even get a bite. Also just before dusk is the best time.

Any other lake - most lakes hold reddies so keep trying and vary your retrieves! Lures outfish bait almost all the time, but if you're patient, bring a little scoop net and get some little fish and use them as bait. Reddies will pretty much eat any fish that fits in their mouth, even if it is half their size. Keep trying!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 am

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have given it a good go. You will get some good advice from here - just not from me cos I don't know the area.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 am

welcome to the site, i have tried a few of those spots for donuts, but one day i will get one, will keep trying till i do
cheers

biggar

Post by biggar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:23 am

You've got to travel a bit further if you want more consistent catches.
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:42 am

some good info here, sorry I can help on the matter

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 am

Welcome to the site, don't feel bad, at least your catching something - I have racked up 14 freshwater trips without landing a fish of late. Starting to suspect the "warm" weather may have something to do with it. Haven't seen a redfin myself in over 18 months.
Just keep getting out there, luck has to turn at some stage

vr84

Post by vr84 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the information guys, sugarloaf has been on the to do list for a couple of weeks, will need to find a spare day to get out there as it is around a 2 hour drive from my place.

I'll try out worms at Rowville, that is probably the easiest next step as I am normally in the area often on weekends.

Karkarook at the moment has lost around a meter of water to evaporation, so fishing from the pier there is a bit more difficult, last time I was there I was able to walk beside the pier almost to the end and then make a cast about another 20 meters out. Casting from the rock banks would have resulted in nothing as the water is really shallow there at the moment and below there is a shoreline about 2 meters long. Even where the reeds grow the water has receded a lot so no hope of throwing a lure over the reeds to catch anything at present. I'll try worms at this lake, the only way to fish there at present is to go right to the edge of the water and make a long cast out. Hopefully it starts to gain water again in the coming months making it a bit better for lures from the rockbanks / pier / behind the reeds.

I'll also try varying the depth and jig directions when using lures / spins to see if that helps, at present I don't usually vary them that much apart from moving them about 1 foot upwards or downwards in the water and running them around snags where possible. I have some good hardbody lures but haven't tried them out yet, they were a bit expensive and I don't want to risk loosing them until I am a bit better at spin / plastics. However if I find a spot with a school of reddies nearby I will likely break them out :)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys, hopefully now I'll have a bit better chance of landing a reddy / trout :)

gecko61

Post by gecko61 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:59 pm

give deep creek ago .anywhere from bulla to monageeta. this river has some absolute thumper redfin in it and is hardly fished due to some spots needing a bit of a walk to get to. lures or bait fishing has worked for me and the largest went just under 2kg. clean water and plenty of snags. it also holds some trout, tench to 4kgs and plenty of eels over a meter long.. just watch out for snakes on a hot day. best time is early morning or an hour before sunset. hope this helps mate. sorry deep creek is the fresh water part of the maribynong and bulla is about 7 kms past melbourne airport. cheers

Return to “Other Species”