first fish!

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
rowan588

first fish!

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 pm

got down to tim neville arboretum with a mate of mine for an afternoon fishing, took about 2 hours all up to get there but totally worth it.

got to fishing at around 6ish from memory strikng out in our first spot as cornocarpio had taken residnce around the corner and was hogging all the little fishes :tongue: so we moved to the other side of the lake to where the shade was starting to cast thinking it would heat up soon.

Well it was slow until about 7 when my mate started hooking onto some small carp around 7cm ish and after seeing the tiny sizewe were starting to think we should move off to another lake when suddenly i had my first fish ever! he was a whooping 8ish cm's and i was bloody excited so we stuck around for a bit more with my mate catching 3 more and me sitting there pouting as the fish decided my bait wasnt tasty enough.

when suddenly my reel started screaming and i was on, not a huge fight but the blood got pounding and i worked him to the side as i realised id foul hooked a deacent size fish... panicking i grabbed him and threw him on the bank where my friend kindly helps de-hook the poor bugger as he also had a broken of hook in his mouth. and he wasoff to the rocks for a unsuccessful whacking resulting in a half dead fish occasionally flapping at me.

this is when i finally wandered over and said hi to cornocarpio and saw his haul (wow) and he let me use his brag mat to check his size, came in at 33cm's and i was wrapped. fish went off the bite at this point and we stuck around for a bit but no more luck after that.

sadly i forgot to grab a pic of baby carp but heres one of his big brother
Attachments
IMG_4742.jpg
IMG_4742.jpg (126.99 KiB) Viewed 517 times

rixter

Re: first fish!

Post by rixter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Good stuff mate , WD. The feel of that bite and some weight on the other end is pretty exciting huh.
Congrats on your first fish.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 pm

thanks, and definately was a great feeling

rafei1

Post by rafei1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 pm

nice fish, well done, I haven't had luck on freshwater fish, maybe theres not much fish at ROwville lakes which is why I get most my luck at mordialloc, best feeling when u get a fish on fighting hard.
Best so far: 47cm aus salmon, 41cm mullet, 40cm king George whiting , 38cm Bream, 35cm flathead, 33 cm pinky, squid 20cm. 2 sting rays caught caught, 1 took a rod as a souvenir. Need to catch snapper... :fish11:

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm just glad I got to play small part in this history making event :lol:

Well done on your second Carp though, I think you'll find catching them highly addictive...
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 pm

rafei1 wrote:nice fish, well done, I haven't had luck on freshwater fish, maybe theres not much fish at ROwville lakes which is why I get most my luck at mordialloc, best feeling when u get a fish on fighting hard.
had no luck until i downed my hook size to about a 10, found these easier to get set and more nibbles the the 4's i was using previously

mcmonier

Post by mcmonier » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:50 pm

And so it begins...

Well done mate!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:53 pm

mcmonier wrote:And so it begins...

Well done mate!
x 1,000,000
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:00 pm

itching to get down for a shot at a bigger one, then planning a trip to try for something a bit more sporty

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:04 pm

great start there rowan 588 !!!

bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Other Species”