Why bother with Rubi Brook trout?

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Rod Bender

Why bother with Rubi Brook trout?

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi all
I was not aware until DEPI relesed the notice re: Brook trout / other trout bag limits that there had been another escape into the Rubicon River from the fish farm. There had been reports in social media which somehow slipped me by. I fished the rubi for a short period around 'Tumbling Waters' last Tuesday for one small brown. I stopped at the Alexandra tackle store to see what was happening. I was told if I went to the rubi at a particular area I should be able to catch a brookie! Sort of said "no thanks"! Another fisherman I met told me the same thing...go to 'spot x' if you want a brookie!

I was surprised to see a few anglers there on a weekday...all hoping for a Brook trout I guess? I was there several years ago also after another great Brook trout escape and could not believe the excitement that some anglers showed with the possibility of ticking the Brook trout of their bucket list. Fishing wise I couldn't think of anything worse...achieving your goal with a dumb arse pellet fed fish! Give me predators any day, not pets! Yes, I likely catch fish that have been stocked but at least they have adapted to the wild. Stocking of lakes for families to fish is great. Pursuing these lake stocked fish is fine...just don't see any point in setting a goal to catch a 'jailbreak' fish.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Why bother with Rubi Brook trout?

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:40 pm

A few anglers isn't to bad jim, a friend of mine went to the rubicon further upstream (towards the trout farm) and decided not to fish as there was upwards of 30 people all fishing a small stretch of river all this was on a thursday.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:15 pm

I agree Jim. I caught one a couple of years back and wouldn't say it was anything special.

It fought like a plastic bag and tasted pretty similar!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm

JoshW wrote:I agree Jim. I caught one a couple of years back and wouldn't say it was anything special.

was the one you caught a trout farm escapee?
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14 pm

lol
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:22 pm

I know a few years ago some blokes were lucky enough to tick off brook, rainbow, brown and Atlantic salmon in the one day from the same river.

The reason they are so popular is because of their rarity I assume. Can't target them with much success anywhere.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Yeah, would be the novelty value I guess. I mean, we all love catching a new species, but I agree, farm raised fish dont feel the same IMO. I mainly fish salt tho, so I dont really have that problem :P

PS: that being said, if we had a Tuna farm or something that had escapees easy to catch, I bet it would be like bourke street mall there.

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 pm

mazman wrote:
JoshW wrote:I agree Jim. I caught one a couple of years back and wouldn't say it was anything special.

was the one you caught a trout farm escapee?
yeah it would have been

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:51 pm

Anyone been up to the Rubicon for the latest run of escapees. Thought about dusting off the G Loomis but I'm a bit torn between wanting to catch a brook and wanting to catch a wild brook.

Return to “Other Species”