Point Lonsdale 27/04/2011

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
slinga

Point Lonsdale 27/04/2011

Post by slinga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 pm

Yo,

Ok, so after having a reasonably quiet time fishing my usual spots around WP and Phillip Island thought I'd try a change of location. Point Lonsdale was the destination and anything from a Gummy to a Bronzie to a Schoolie was the target. Conditions when I arrived were supreme.

However, after getting 50kgs of seaweed on the jetty and losing a couple of hooks within an hour I decided this location can be very frustrating :snap: . There were atleast 10 other blokes on the jetty who were all losing a considerable amount of tackle ( I was rather fortunate I think ).

So, I decided to move elsewhere to no avail :doh1: .

My question is: Is the only way to avoid snags/weed from the jetty by ballooning a bait 200m out because I can't understand how anyone can enjoy fishing there?

Mick
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Andoki

Re: Point Lonsdale 27/04/2011

Post by Andoki » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:53 am

In my opinion, other than the ballooning, you can use the paternoster rig on a dropping bomb sinker small to medium size (depend on how far you want to cast), and the hocks should be either straight long shank or straight circle hocks (that have the tip bends to inside).
In addition, you always need to be flexible to change the height or the length of the rig to keep the hocks right above the weeds beds while the sinker is in the bottom, and this can be only be try and error for any new area you go.
Good luck next time

j.dammo

Post by j.dammo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:00 pm

i balloon it, works alright, its great to watch the other anglers collecting seaweed and going crazy.

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

j.dammo wrote:i balloon it, works alright, its great to watch the other anglers collecting seaweed and going crazy.
That was pretty much me haha.

What have you caught off there?
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

skysuite

Post by skysuite » Mon May 06, 2013 5:33 pm

lol slinga,50kgs of seaweed,shall we made sushi from it?:)

GummySlayer

Post by GummySlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 6:05 pm

They used to catch biiiiig bronzies there dude. They either balloon it on a big wind, or use a block of polystyrene under the water to push the bait out (Dependant on tide)

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”