Barwon River

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
pertasonic12

Barwon River

Post by pertasonic12 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:07 am

Hi guys, heading to ocean grove for the weekend from Melb and thought i'd give the Barwon river a crack. However, ive never been here so any advice on lures, bait, spots or just in general if ill be wasting my time would be much appreciated. Cheers

adamk

Re: Barwon River

Post by adamk » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:27 am

pertasonic12 wrote:Hi guys, heading to ocean grove for the weekend from Melb and thought i'd give the Barwon river a crack. However, ive never been here so any advice on lures, bait, spots or just in general if ill be wasting my time would be much appreciated. Cheers
11 vews no replys o_0
if fishing near the caravan park, chicken breast has been known to get a few bites. within that 4 hour block 2 hours either side of the tide. least that was my exp 10 years ago.
jo0oz, breambo & whiting so id take pipis as well.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 am

This could have something to do with that....

search.php?keywords=Barwon+River&terms= ... mit=Search

There are 91 PAGES of responses involving the barwon river.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:25 am

I fished the Barwon twice in the last fortnight (near the end of Sheepwash Rd); got one major bust-off on a whiting outfit/squid; very heavy with head shakes but tiny owner circle must have ripped through the lip as it was over pretty quick. Quickly threw in a mulloway rig with whole fresh squid and waited 2 hours for naught...

Tried the same the Sat night gone and there would have been about 3000 mosquitoes for every human bean, as me toddler says; got some nice bites (on the legs mostly) and left for home scratching....

What I did take away from Barwon is this f*****g sludgy stuff on the rods/reels; just realised this morning when I moved the rods in the garage... It's kind of yellowish and covers the rods and reels in full, like a sticky film of sorts...NFi what it is, but I do know that it came from Barwon Heads 'cause it wasn't there before. Must be some crap in the air there, if you'll pardon me bustin' rhymes...

I think i'll scratch Barwon off the charts till the cooler weather kicks in...

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:47 am

Barwon works with the high tide, salmon, mullet and trevs the main culprits.

But can see bream whiting and the odd jewie, daylight hours pre high tide were the most productive for me and that helps with the no mozzies. Information is a few years old, pinch of salt.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Try ocean Grove ramp ,heaps of mullet,salmon ect
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Adding to the advice above, my favourite time is the first 2 hours of the incoming tide. I always prefer fishing the mouth of the river rather than the Sheepwash because it gets way too crowded there for my liking, but remember to cast into the channels (deeper water). Don't be surprised if you catch whiting either, they're usually around. Pipis for bait and you should get on to a few fish.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”