Lorne Pier 23/5

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
TrevKing

Lorne Pier 23/5

Post by TrevKing » Sat May 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Was in Lorne today with the family and had a couple of hours to fish off the pier.

Initially tried for squid but with no success, apparently they've been a bit elusive due to dirty water.

Switched to plastics to see if there were any salmon around. Unfortunately the seal was there so the schools were moving around a lot and difficult to locate, but I ended up with 1 good sized salmon on a keitech 3" easy shiner which was crazy fun on the 1-3kg itchy twitchy. Had no idea how I was going to get it up on to the pier because I didn't want to bust off while lifting the fish, so it ended up throwing the hooks while someone went further up the pier to look for a net. No big deal though because I was going to release it anyway.

No other action for me, but a few other salmon were caught by lure fishermen, the baitos were getting grass whiting and leatherjacket, and a 7 gill was caught off the end of the pier.

Overall a nice session, first time I've fished saltwater in a while so it was good fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Lorne Pier 23/5

Post by Scraglor » Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 pm

Nice one mate, how much fun are the sambos on light gear. I had a school busting around the boat this morning, gars flying everywhere with the odd sambo jumping around. Sadly I didnt have any gear to target them, very frustrating :P

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Scraglor wrote:Nice one mate, how much fun are the sambos on light gear. I had a school busting around the boat this morning, gars flying everywhere with the odd sambo jumping around. Sadly I didnt have any gear to target them, very frustrating :P

Always have a rod n some lures at the ready.. U just never know when birds are gonna start driving around the boat, that's when shît gets real hahaha
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sat May 23, 2015 9:23 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Scraglor wrote:Nice one mate, how much fun are the sambos on light gear. I had a school busting around the boat this morning, gars flying everywhere with the odd sambo jumping around. Sadly I didnt have any gear to target them, very frustrating :P

Always have a rod n some lures at the ready.. U just never know when birds are gonna start driving around the boat, that's when shît gets real hahaha
I know right, I looked at my sephia/stradic, decided against it, then ended up trying to cast 8gm metals at a school with gummy gear, 12kg rod / 10,000 reel and 40lb line. was painful

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 pm

Scraglor wrote:
BIG GAV wrote:

I know right, I looked at my sephia/stradic, decided against it, then ended up trying to cast 8gm metals at a school with gummy gear, 12kg rod / 10,000 reel and 40lb line. was painful

Lol sounds like my last trip to st Leonard's I got a whiting on my 10-15kg ugly stick n baitrunner it was depressing.. To add injury to insult it jumped under the esky I threw my hand under blindly looking for it boom little flathead got me the p**** (must have dropped n been forgotten about in the plague of undersized flat ties at our previous mark)
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Mon May 25, 2015 12:04 am

Was insane fun, the first run had my drag screaming, I'd love to see how the huge ones they get in SA and WA fight.
Shame about not having the gear, still would've been pretty cool to see though.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

rogs

Post by rogs » Mon May 25, 2015 1:58 am

TrevKing wrote:Was in Lorne today with the family and had a couple of hours to fish off the pier.

Initially tried for squid but with no success, apparently they've been a bit elusive due to dirty water.

Switched to plastics to see if there were any salmon around. Unfortunately the seal was there so the schools were moving around a lot and difficult to locate, but I ended up with 1 good sized salmon on a keitech 3" easy shiner which was crazy fun on the 1-3kg itchy twitchy. Had no idea how I was going to get it up on to the pier because I didn't want to bust off while lifting the fish, so it ended up throwing the hooks while someone went further up the pier to look for a net. No big deal though because I was going to release it anyway.

No other action for me, but a few other salmon were caught by lure fishermen, the baitos were getting grass whiting and leatherjacket, and a 7 gill was caught off the end of the pier.

Overall a nice session, first time I've fished saltwater in a while so it was good fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost my interest in that pier since that seal decided to resides few year ago...pinching someone else's fish Bangg

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Mon May 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Very interested in Lorne Pier as I will be spending a few days there in July and planned to have a go.
Obviously plenty of time for things to change but the resident seal is a worry.
I have no knowledge of that side, if Lorne pier doesn't,t work, any advice on alternatives up or down the coast?
I am predominately a bait man who would be happy to settle in in one spot for a cupola hours and my wife could wet a line as well.
No big adventure, just somewhere with a chance.All suggestions welcome.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Mon May 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Blue wrote:Very interested in Lorne Pier as I will be spending a few days there in July and planned to have a go.
Obviously plenty of time for things to change but the resident seal is a worry.
I have no knowledge of that side, if Lorne pier doesn't,t work, any advice on alternatives up or down the coast?
I am predominately a bait man who would be happy to settle in in one spot for a cupola hours and my wife could wet a line as well.
No big adventure, just somewhere with a chance.All suggestions welcome.
Blue
Blue, although it fishes much better when the seal isn't around, the pier can still fish well when its there. The seal tends to hand around the end of the pier so fishing closer to shore can still be productive.

I'm not expert on the area but theres plenty of locations for rock and beach fishing down that way, I'm sure people who frequent the area more often can help you out.

Then theres always the Erskine which will produce bream and mullet, and Painkalac Creek at Airey's Inlet for the same species.
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Mon May 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks Trev, We are past the rocks and surf but will look up the Erskine and Airies Inlet, Bream and Mullet more the go for us.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”