Anglesea and Surrounds Help

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Lecterfan

Re: Anglesea and Surrounds Help

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 pm

For those playsng along at home, the Classon-Wilson book gives us this (so could be worth a go in the right conditions!):
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 9.30.21 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 9.30.21 pm.png (31.12 KiB) Viewed 3215 times

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Lecterfan wrote: Land based fishing around Anglesea itself is a long way from where the Pt Addis marine park finishes. You can't really fish in there by accident unless you've walked North a good couple of country miles (like easily 5 or 6 kms following the beach itself) before getting to it.
Heading North East along the beach from the mouth of the Anglesea River you would cross into the Marine National Park at the 2km mark. A walk of 6km would have you gone past the superb deep Addis (South) Beach, over the Pt Addis headland and onto the shallower (North) beach.

The headland itself is the most productive land based fishing spot I have ever encountered, but thanks to Greeny lock up and leave it ideologies it is now a criminal offence to catch a feed there.

Lecterfan

Post by Lecterfan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Apologies...def looks more like 2 or 3 if walking along the contour of the beach...

Edit: further than most people will walk along a beach for a casual crack at some whiting with a 6 ft rod anyway haha (referring to OP). They must have the yellow beacon markers anyway surely?

Like you, I still remember the days of fishing pt addis beach...still have photos of ridiculously huge banjo sharks among others haha.

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:17 am

I have fished point roadnight a bit. If you check the swell and hit it at low tide it is safe enough. You do lose a fair bit of gear there, so cast straight off the end parallel to the rocks. There are only two small holes in the reef suitable for rod holders so you may have to hold your rod until you locate them ( they are on the beach side)

The most success I have had is when going at first light when the tide is low enough to get out onto the platform I have caught very large whiting (on half a pillie with a snapper hooks) pinkies, salmon, etc so it goes ok but I would be pre tying a fair few rigs and ensuring the conditions are ideal.

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks for the help, I went out last night at point roadnight and got a few small pinkies on squid. Hopefully I can catch something a bit bigger!

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 pm

HarryS11 wrote:Thanks for the help, I went out last night at point roadnight and got a few small pinkies on squid. Hopefully I can catch something a bit bigger!
Thanks for the brief report. At least you were not bored for not getting bites. Did you lose plenty of rigs?

HarryS11

Post by HarryS11 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:42 pm

I only lost 2 during that session and one was from a bite off. I also went to Lorne pier for a bit of squidding and ended up catching 3 good sized squid despite the crowded pier.

Billo

Post by Billo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 am

I've fished the rocks at Point Roadknight a bit with mixed results. You gotta make sure it's a low tide (0.3m or less) and low swell. Walk out to the end of the rock platform which is pretty wide on a low tide. On your left, you'll find a calm little bay that produces mullet and wrasse. Best to use some berley. You can also cast out towards Point Addis for salmon and pinkies, but keep clear of the weed beds. Caution needs to be taken though as big waves come in even on calm days. Just keep your eye on the breaking waves and don't go out to the edge of the rocks.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”