Fairhaven Report 30-1/16

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Fairhaven Report 30-1/16

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Jdware95 wrote:
fishpod wrote:Nice report, way too sunny for Salmon, try a high tide at dawn or dusk and preferably very overcast, night time is the best for Fairhaven, lots of Burley and blue surf poppers :thumbsup:
I thought that may have been the case, but there was some cloud cover at times as well during the day. The gutters were pretty sanded out too. I went to Fairhaven at high tide and it seemed pretty shallow and featureless?? :( I know beach formations change all the time but when I was down low tide looked much better from a gutter stand point. Thanks for the tips though and will definitely give them a shot, haven't tried surf poppers yet :)
Surf poppers are a definite must if using bait in the surf mate :thumbsup:
The number of times I have missed a salmon on the actual bait hook but got a hook up on the popper is a lot.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Jdware95 wrote:
fishpod wrote:Nice report, way too sunny for Salmon, try a high tide at dawn or dusk and preferably very overcast, night time is the best for Fairhaven, lots of Burley and blue surf poppers :thumbsup:
I thought that may have been the case, but there was some cloud cover at times as well during the day. The gutters were pretty sanded out too. I went to Fairhaven at high tide and it seemed pretty shallow and featureless?? :( I know beach formations change all the time but when I was down low tide looked much better from a gutter stand point. Thanks for the tips though and will definitely give them a shot, haven't tried surf poppers yet :)
I'm glad you mentioned that because I meant to say low tide change, I do most of my rock fishing at low tide down that way and also pretty much all the beaches you mentioned are better at low tide because you can get to the deeper gutters, Hutt creek is a classic for low tide because there is a big hole in front of the bommies, also if you fish the Devils Elbow which is just past fairhaven where the small headland jutts out it is very deep and well worth a fish

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am

fishpod wrote:
Jdware95 wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned that because I meant to say low tide change, I do most of my rock fishing at low tide down that way and also pretty much all the beaches you mentioned are better at low tide because you can get to the deeper gutters, Hutt creek is a classic for low tide because there is a big hole in front of the bommies, also if you fish the Devils Elbow which is just past fairhaven where the small headland jutts out it is very deep and well worth a fish
Did you mean Hutt Gully? :)

Yeah, I'm sure after a big swell/blow Fairhaven/Moggs Creek would look better on the high tide (although Moggs did have a nice gutter at high tide out the front of the bridge) but it wasn't the case this time around. Low tide was the only option.

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Na, it's a very shallow beach, but like the other beaches around it they have a decent drop off which is very accesable at low tide, very hard to fish it high tide unless you can cast a couple hundred meters, but you never know

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:51 pm

fishpod wrote:Na, it's a very shallow beach, but like the other beaches around it they have a decent drop off which is very accesable at low tide, very hard to fish it high tide unless you can cast a couple hundred meters, but you never know
Thanks mate, really helpful :) we shall have to hit up the beaches down that way sometime soon.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”