Fairhaven Report 30-1/16

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Jdware95

Fairhaven Report 30-1/16

Post by Jdware95 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:18 am

Hey all,

First post on this site! I have a house down in Anglesea and was there the last few days. Decided to break out the surf gear and wander down to some of the beaches in hopes for some salmon.

On the first day, Hutt Gully was the first stop. It was almost High tide and the exposed reef was mostly submerged. I saw a nice little hole adjacent to a crop of reef and decided to give it a shot. I got a couple of hits but missed (assumed they were small Mullet) and then got snagged on the reef.

Called it quits at Hutt Gully and went two minutes up the road to Urquharts Bluff, there is a huge hole there! Unfortunately there were far too many surfers so after quick deliberation I decided to pop over to Fairhaven. The past couple of days had been quite windy and unfortunately much of the water was sandy, including the waves. This made me doubt whether any sakmon would be around (as I have heard they don't like the sand).

Fairhaven was surprisingly featureless on the high tide, with little in the way of gutters within good casting range, so I headed down to Moggs Creek.

I broke out the spinning outfit and flung lures around, didn't get a single hit all day?! After walking up and down the beach without a touch, I took one final trip down to Moggs Creek and proceeded to throwing slugs into the deep gutter in front of the car park. Much to my dismay I didn't conjur up one single salmon.

The next day I decided to give low tide a shot and see if any deeper channels or gutters presented themselves. I went straight to Fairhaven and liked what I saw.
image.jpg
The view from my car.
image.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
image.jpg
Fairhaven on low tide
image.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
image.jpg
No salmon?!
image.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Yet again, atter spinning the gutters for the better part of a few hours, I struck out. Discouraged, I fished the Anglesea river later in the day and was pleasantly surprised at how many fish were in the system. I caught about 17 in an hour and a half on chicken, the best going at 24cm, great fun!
image.jpg
image.jpg (65.27 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
The next day I loaded up on Pilchards and Squid and headed back to the same spot at Fairhaven. The surf was mildly flat and there was a change forecast in the next hour or so, again no salmon, but I did manage to land a nice pinkie from my only hit for two days from the surf. Tasted delicious!
image.jpg
image.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Threw lures around up and down the beach as well and still nothing.

All in all was great fun, but a little frustrating on the salmon front. Did anyone else find it hard work on the beaches down this way of the coast over the week?

Thanks all!

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Fairhaven Report 30-1/16

Post by Trumpeter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am

Good report and first post

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:33 am

:welcome2: :good: :r
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:35 am

Nice read with scenery like that who cares if you catch fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum mate! That's a nice pinkie from the surf :thumbsup:

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:42 am

Good pinky off the beach bro, and nice report.:)

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks guys! Love this site, great resource. It's a beautiful part of the world down there, I reckon you would catch some pretty big fish at Fairhaven if you played your cards right. Nice formation and patches of reef. But like you said, even when the fish aren't biting that beach is just something, amazing backdrop. Hopefully the salmon are around next time :D

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:49 am

Jdware95 wrote:Thanks guys! Love this site, great resource. It's a beautiful part of the world down there, I reckon you would catch some pretty big fish at Fairhaven if you played your cards right. Nice formation and patches of reef. But like you said, even when the fish aren't biting that beach is just something, amazing backdrop. Hopefully the salmon are around next time :D
A lot of us on this forum are waiting for the sambos to start playing the game mate :thumbsup:

Jdware95

Post by Jdware95 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 am

Lightningx wrote:
Jdware95 wrote:Thanks guys! Love this site, great resource. It's a beautiful part of the world down there, I reckon you would catch some pretty big fish at Fairhaven if you played your cards right. Nice formation and patches of reef. But like you said, even when the fish aren't biting that beach is just something, amazing backdrop. Hopefully the salmon are around next time :D
A lot of us on this forum are waiting for the sambos to start playing the game mate :thumbsup:
Off to a slow start are they? I'll be patient ;-)

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:29 am

I do all my surf fishing down that way mate, moggs creek and jan juc mainly, I've caught a lot big salmon and gummys after dark. They Usually fire up may, June, July. Definitly a Very beautiful place to fish if you catch then that's a bonus.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”