Looking for tips for Ocean Grove holiday

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
The Professor
Has liked: 3 times

Looking for tips for Ocean Grove holiday

Post by The Professor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi all

I'm spending a week down at Ocean Grove, from next Saturday. We're staying in near the Ocean Grove golf course, where the river does a dog leg and widens up before it reaches the bridge. Does anyone have any advice on best general areas for land-based fishing -- either in that part of the river or nearby coast? I've reviewed posts on the forum and it seems that the general area can be a bit hit and miss? I'm not overly ambitious -- just keen to get a line in the water and hopefully pull something out!

Thanks...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Looking for tips for Ocean Grove holiday

Post by DougieK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Buy a bait pump, pump baits at low tide and fish high tide changes in the river. Will probably be crowded. GULP plastics are also effective. Tiny bits of chicken on size 12 hooks will get you a mullet and if you're game put it back out live for a jewie at night.

laneends

Post by laneends » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:02 pm

The sheepwash area out the back of barwon heads is popular for LB

It can be very shallow on the ocean grove side.

Tide can run hard too especially around the entrance, so usual advice of fishing either side of change is worth taking into consideration.

Fair bit of weed in there too to clog your lines when tides running

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:16 pm

The pier at Barwon Heads seems to fish good. Every time I have fished there I've caught a few fish.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

The Professor

Post by The Professor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Fantastic. Thanks, all. Will take your advice and will report back in a couple of weeks!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 am

Good luck mate :P

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Would definately be looking the Pier with the Restaurant next to the bridge. I believe they are getting whiting there at sunrise. Casting out will from the same pier will give you a chance of Trevally, Salmon and Mullet as well. Along the river close to structure holds some Bream. As mentioned previously all the piers and carparks in the Sheepwash area are great with the family. They have toilet facilities and a servo that's open until late for bait, bits and pieces (tackle), etc.. When fishing in the barwon - and i mean almost any part of the barwon, particularly at night, send out a big bait on a solid outfit, you might be pleasantly surprised :)

The Professor

Post by The Professor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks again for your advice. I didn't fish as much as I expected, mainly due to being completely knackered from boogie boarding at Thirteenth Beach with my kids pretty much every day! But the highlight was fishing into the Barwon River from the sand just past the restaurant/pier at Barwon Heads. I actually got the tide times wrong and had intended to fish around the change of the tide, but it just kept going out! Got constant nibbles and when I pulled in a toady thought I was destined for disappointment. But then I felt something a bit stronger and ended up pulling in the first of two KG Whiting. Only around 30cm but the first edible fish I've managed to reel in since I got back into fishing after a long lay-off. Got them home and into the frying pan within the hour and the kids were pretty impressed, so that was a win! Now back in Melbourne sadly but will be looking to get out for a fish closer to home asap.

Cheers all!

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”