Barwon river - estuary lures?

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Clintos

Barwon river - estuary lures?

Post by Clintos » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 am

Hi all,

I'll be spending the Christmas week down at St Leonrds this year and apart from a bit of bay fishing in the boat will be also keen to try some fishing in the estuary shore based with the family.

I haven't fished this area before and like to pass time throwing lures - can anyone suggest the best type to try there - plastics/metal lures? I'm not targeting anything in particular as I normally throw most fish back and should bag more than enough whiting/flatties from the boat at St Leonards.

cheers

Clint.

KgWhiting

Re: Barwon river - estuary lures?

Post by KgWhiting » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

Soft plastics like 2.5 inch zman grubs ect probably better off using baits like chicken prawns pippis and fresh squid which u will catch off leonards

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:44 am

Also gummy fishing is well worth it off Leonards been quite a few getting around

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Pretty much any small plastic will do. I like Gulp! prawns and Berkley Ttails
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Small grub soft plastics would work well on the species you're most likely to catch there, which are small salmon and silver trevally. Don't forget, the Barwon also usually has a few mulloway in it too, so if you want to target them you would need a larger paddletail or grub type soft plastic lure and a heavier rod. For some reason there's not many bream caught in the Barwon. They are there, but they're not often caught.

The best place to fish with soft plastics is near the bridge, which is always crowded at this time of year and also from the boat ramp on the Barwon Heads side, back upstream a kilometre or so. There's a walkway along the bank.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”