Torquay reef

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Matty H

Torquay reef

Post by Matty H » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:40 pm

Scratched a long held itch and headed out off fishos for the short trip to the artificial reef. Joined the half dozen other craft all doing much the same as us, having a ball hooking any number of bait fish - mainly mackerel with a few yakkas mixed in, while soaking a couple as live bait, under the school. If allowed to reach the bottom baits were immediately scoffed by undersized pinkies. Massive amount of bait in the water, which was a promising deep blue colour, but no bigger fish, and none seen on the sounder. Unfortunate sacrifice of my favourite rod, which was being used by my stepson......, slipped out of his grip as he hooked up and disappeared into the briny..., if anyone pulls in an ancient shimano graphite rod with an equally old bass one reel.........., let me know!
Cheers, Mat.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Torquay reef

Post by smile0784 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Bugger about the rod
Sounds like you had fun otherwise tho

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:53 pm

Sorry to hear about the rod... :(

Matty H

Post by Matty H » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Yep, was old faithful, always the one that hooked up, caught everything on it all the way up to gummies n big snapper, could have big baits out on heavy rods, and they'd just sneak on through and grab the pilly fillet on that little rod.
As far as the artificial reef goes, it's very accessible, you just gotta be able to beach launch. Holding bait thick from top to bottom.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”