Obliterated at the Barwon River

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Obliterated at the Barwon River

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Brownie wrote:Fished there with a mate that used to live at the Grove years ago. Lots of big Mulloway, huge Eagle rays and unknown to a lot, a haunt of some serious big sharks. Stood on the old bridge many a night in the 90's fishing for the Jewies, caught a few, lost a lot :-D
But the amount of big grey subs that would cruise in on the in coming tide was jaw dropping. Saw plenty 6 to 10 footers. You could hook anything in that water at times. Most jewies would do a 30, 50 meter run and turn, do another, etc, bit less each successive run. The ones that kept motoring, would spool 200 plus meters I never believed were Jewies.
Some impressive fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 26, 2018 8:51 am

Brownie wrote:Fished there with a mate that used to live at the Grove years ago. Lots of big Mulloway, huge Eagle rays and unknown to a lot, a haunt of some serious big sharks. Stood on the old bridge many a night in the 90's fishing for the Jewies, caught a few, lost a lot :-D
But the amount of big grey subs that would cruise in on the in coming tide was jaw dropping. Saw plenty 6 to 10 footers. You could hook anything in that water at times. Most jewies would do a 30, 50 meter run and turn, do another, etc, bit less each successive run. The ones that kept motoring, would spool 200 plus meters I never believed were Jewies.
:thumbsup:

fishin4gold

Post by fishin4gold » Sun May 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Great video LINwAd

Looks similar to my first attempt at a Mulloway. Down near the bridge and I thought it was a ray too. Got close enough to the bank to see its purple back before it made one last turn and ran back to a bridge pylon......SNAP. :o_0: :o_0:

Upgraded my gear a little now when down there. 30lb braid, with 40lb leader.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Nice vid mate. Its good taking the kids out for a nice day.

With those big swirls on the surface once you hook up i'd say a big ray? The lack of head shakes also gives me the impression its a ray

Cheers, Anth

mattt

Post by mattt » Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 am

I’ve fished that river a lot since I was a kid (haven’t in the last 5 or so years though) from the mouth right up to sheep wash and have never been lucky enough to have a mulloway hook up!
Will have to get back down there... beautiful spot of the workd

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 28, 2018 7:56 am

Agree with you there mate.
The missus and I love Fishing that area :thumbsup:

ingeer

Post by ingeer » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 am

15lb should be okish as long as fish is not excessively huge, and... it does not manage to run into structure.

Used to catch a 58cm mulloway with 9lb line (bream gear), it was a great fight took about 5 mins to land it. Lucky there was no structure around though :)

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Mon May 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Hey for you guys that go there. I haven't since my mate passed away, sort of lost incentive after that, great guy who lived in Collendina. Anyway. We would fish easter for the Jewies that came in big numbers then at night, and September, October for the good runs of nice size trevors during the day. January at night on the fisherman's warf at night high tide for the snook. Snook would be there hanging in the shadows under it, just dangle an unweighted glassie a few feet under and watch them gently take it. They were only biting on the slack water between the change. Was good fun. Personally didn't like eating the snook but my mum and dad loved them. Miss those times.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 29, 2018 12:13 am

Sorry to hear about your mate.
Thanks for the advice about that place.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:56 am

I’ve never caught a Mulloway, but from what I’ve seen, that didn’t look like a Mulloway at all. Mulloway have big head shakes, I didn’t see any apart from a few little tiny ones early on, which rays can do with their wings. Plus it just looks like dead weight running... could be wrong we’ll never know but I’m going with Ray.

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”