land based fishing around Torquay

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Davy

land based fishing around Torquay

Post by Davy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi Guys, I am a 50+ yr old from Tassie and I will be Jan Juc for a week or so at xmas & looking to take my 4 yr old grandson fishing for bream, flathead or whatever.
Wondering if Spring Creek is worth a try? Barwon River sounds like a good place, but with a few dedicated locals may be busy that time of year.
I do a fair bit of fishing in Tassie, from Tuna @ Eaglehawk Neck to Rainbows & Browns up the lake country. A lot of variety down here. probably the same there when you know where to go.
Hope someone can help with a few tips!!
Bringing the car so I will have a few rods from spinning to beach casting.

Rogue_Hunter

Re: land based fishing around Torquay

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Last time i was there, i fished the entrance of spring creek (closed) and we got heaps of mullet and some bream on the pier next to the park\golf course.

There is a local tackle shop just off the main hwy which are VERY friendly bunch of guys. Go speak to them and they will be able to get you onto some fish.

73 Beach Road
Torquay VIC 3228
(03) 5264 8207

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=torqu ... 38,,0,3.72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also try where behind the footy ground.

Davy

Post by Davy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 pm

thanks RH will check out the local shop/guys and get a few tips and some extra gear. Even a few mullet will make the young guy happy!!me too!!
I have driven over the bridge at the creek quite a few times wondering if it had anything to offer.
Cheers
Davy

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:13 pm

It does, i can tell you. I caught a couple 32cm bream there!

If you want to catch mullet, just make up some burley and use float setup which comprises of

Float, splitshots, size 12 hook with a piece of peeled prawn\chicken.

Peeled prawn will work well for bream aswell - all this can be bought from the place i mentioned.

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 pm

When you get there, take a walk along the boardwalk that goes over the creek near the lifesaving club...you'll be surprised by how many fish you'd see

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:50 pm

Yep spring creek is a good option.
Barwon River holds lots of fish but strong tides and winds can make it difficult to fish.
Other locations worth a shot are Anglesea River, Painkalac Creek (Aireys Inlet) and Erskine River (Lorne).
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 pm

I heard the mouth of he anglesea river was closed for too long and there was a big die off of all the bream in there recently,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:36 am

If you decide to hit the Barwon try nuclear chicken shrimp soft plastics on a 1/8 jighead. You'll get tons of juvenile salmon along the banks near the bridge or in the mud at sheepwash. Not the best catch i know but the 4 yo will love it.

It really is a great place to fish.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Davy

Post by Davy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Unbelievable response guys, thank you all very much. I will try the creek for sure and hope to get down to Aireys & Lorne for a trip so see how the weather fairs eh!!
Thanks again and see you all in Tassie. Check out sportsfishtasmania.com before you come.
Will let you know in the new year if we do any good.
cheers

Davy

Post by Davy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 pm

I have been to Jan Juc and now gone home and back at work in Tassie...Bugger...
Took the grandson to Spring Creek a couple of times and he is now hooked on fishing...another one!!
We caught a few bream and cocky salmon between the roundabout and the mouth, just cruising along the river bank opposite the golf course. The young guy caught his first fish (a bream about 22 cm) and he was very excited. Wanted to take it home to cook for dinner, but I explained that it was a bit small and we would put it back to grow ready for next time. He was happy with that....Lucky the hook was caught in the lip and not swallowed so an easy return.
we did not end up with a size fish, but had a couple of great attempts and a few small fish to keep us interested.
Also had a couple of visits to the local tackle shop (thanks for the tip) and the guys there were very friendly & helpful as you mentioned RH. Places like that are priceless for a community to have.
Thanks again and keep on fishing.
Dave

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”