Anglesea getaway

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Anglesea getaway

Post by Omer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I'll be heading down to Anglesea this Monday for a few days away with a close mate of mine. Basically getting away to switch off the brain and have a nice fishing session :water:

I've read the river can produce well as well as the surf which I'm hoping to try. I've read a few posts that mentioned point roadknight, which I've googled and located and it seems like a promising stretch of rocks to try aswell. Ill look around and see for myself and hopefully throw a few lines around which should give me a good feel of the place.

I was wondering if anyone has any idea whether you can pump salt water yabbies in the low tide anywhere around Anglesea or at point roadknight? Or would i have to take a slight detour and pop into barwon heads as ive been told there are yabbies around the river?

Either way hope to report on it soon after my trip
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Anglesea getaway

Post by hornet » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:45 pm

I have never tried but have heard one armed bandits ( bass yabbies ) can be pumped at Zeally bay Torquay ...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Omer

Post by Omer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Could definitely give Zeally bay a try. It's on the way there. Thanks hornet
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

biggar

Post by biggar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Point road knight on a low tide
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Omer

Post by Omer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Sweet as I'll definitely give the point a pump at low tide. Thanks

Freelesson

Post by Freelesson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:03 pm

If your going to fish the river just use bread will get a heap of little bream. Went down there for about 20 years straight as a kid for family holidays and it always works.

Omer

Post by Omer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Thats pretty interesting stuff, never used bread as bait before. Ill defs need to give it a shot

vikodin

Post by vikodin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Anglesea river still hasn't recovered from its most recent fish kill, not sure if the signs are still up but don't eat a fish from there if you catch a legal one.
There are great surf fishing beaches, rock platforms and other estuaries that are fishing really well down here so plenty of options.

Omer

Post by Omer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Ye I actually read up on the fish kill but couldn't find any answers as to why it occurred. Are you not allowed to take fish from the river at the moment? I don't mind doing some catch and release for a bit of fun. Ill probably spend majority of my time on the surf anyway

vikodin

Post by vikodin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Omer wrote:Ye I actually read up on the fish kill but couldn't find any answers as to why it occurred. Are you not allowed to take fish from the river at the moment? I don't mind doing some catch and release for a bit of fun. Ill probably spend majority of my time on the surf anyway
Why it occurs is a long story, probably don't want to get me started on this :Boxing: short story is that its caused from acidic run off from the catchment into the river which changes the rivers PH levels.

Having a coal mine (Alcoa) sitting in the catchment collecting all the run off into their holding ponds, then having them regulate the majority of water that flows into the river apparently has nothing to do with it. What a friggen Joke (that's just a mini rant)

I highly recommend catch and release in this system for lots of reasons
1 I don't trust Alcoa
2 bream are a slow growing fish eg 40cm 30years old
3 Its a closed to the sea mostly and is a tiny estuary that can't sustain heavy fishing (taking all the big fish leaves what)
4 I don't trust Alcoa ;)
5 There are probably signs put up stating its not safe too anyway

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”