Anglesea getaway

Point Lonsdale Pier, Lorne, Barwon Heads, Torquay, Aireys Inlet, Angelsea, Ocean Grove
JoshW

Re: Anglesea getaway

Post by JoshW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

vikodin wrote:
Omer wrote:Ye I actually read up on the fish kill but couldn't find any answers as to why it occurred. Are you not allowed to take fish from the river at the moment? I don't mind doing some catch and release for a bit of fun. Ill probably spend majority of my time on the surf anyway
Why it occurs is a long story, probably don't want to get me started on this :Boxing: short story is that its caused from acidic run off from the catchment into the river which changes the rivers PH levels.

Having a coal mine (Alcoa) sitting in the catchment collecting all the run off into their holding ponds, then having them regulate the majority of water that flows into the river apparently has nothing to do with it. What a friggen Joke (that's just a mini rant)

I highly recommend catch and release in this system for lots of reasons
1 I don't trust Alcoa
2 bream are a slow growing fish eg 40cm 30years old
3 Its a closed to the sea mostly and is a tiny estuary that can't sustain heavy fishing (taking all the big fish leaves what)
4 I don't trust Alcoa ;)
5 There are probably signs put up stating its not safe too anyway
Is the river still worth fishing? Heading away for a weekend with the girlfriend soon and basically I want to be able to chase some bream too (don't tell her), so i suggested Anglesea cos its fairly close to us..

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:41 am

vikodin wrote:
Omer wrote:Ye I actually read up on the fish kill but couldn't find any answers as to why it occurred. Are you not allowed to take fish from the river at the moment? I don't mind doing some catch and release for a bit of fun. Ill probably spend majority of my time on the surf anyway
Why it occurs is a long story, probably don't want to get me started on this :Boxing: short story is that its caused from acidic run off from the catchment into the river which changes the rivers PH levels.

Having a coal mine (Alcoa) sitting in the catchment collecting all the run off into their holding ponds, then having them regulate the majority of water that flows into the river apparently has nothing to do with it. What a friggen Joke (that's just a mini rant)

I highly recommend catch and release in this system for lots of reasons
1 I don't trust Alcoa
2 bream are a slow growing fish eg 40cm 30years old
3 Its a closed to the sea mostly and is a tiny estuary that can't sustain heavy fishing (taking all the big fish leaves what)
4 I don't trust Alcoa ;)
5 There are probably signs put up stating its not safe too anyway
Thanks for the info, that's the most I've gotten about the fish kill considering I've read some reports where people are all dumbfounded and have no answers. I should really do some research on Alcoa.

Well I mainly wanted to try and snatch up some salmon but ill be there for three days so ill still give the river a fish see if i can catch some for fun and release them :fishing:
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

vikodin

Post by vikodin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Here's a couple of links for the guys that are interested in what goes on there.
These are a couple of articles from the 2011 fish kill (the current one effecting the river was in 2013)
http://www.angleseanews.com/archives/11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.voltscommissar.net/docs/anglesea.river.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.angleseanews.com/archives/1453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as a keen angler I'm just sick of the bull **** and regular fish kills.
Major fish kills (the entire river dead) have been occurring on average every 3 years lately!!

If this is a natural event then why don't other nearby estuaries with the same peat soiled catchments have the same fish kills.
Its time the government stop worrying about the $$$ they make from Alcoa and think about how they are killing\have killed a beautiful river.
The sea wall is another huge factor.
http://www.surfcoasttimes.com.au/news/c ... yOyEPmSw_h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the pond

Post by the pond » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:04 am

dont fish the river it is dead fish point roadknight on low tide with bass yabbies you will catch so many and the point on low tide goes alright aswell lots of sweep around i got a video of me fishing there if that helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YmAkOZS ... jKIFcqrkbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vikodin

Post by vikodin » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:44 am

the pond wrote:dont fish the river it is dead fish point roadknight on low tide with bass yabbies you will catch so many and the point on low tide goes alright aswell lots of sweep around i got a video of me fishing there if that helps [youtube]1YmAkOZSpWk[/youtube]
Great video, chest mount works pretty well :thumbsup: shows some of the variety you get there
trevally, KG whiting, mullet and loads more are pretty common there too.

the pond

Post by the pond » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:06 pm

thanks there are so many fish there you just have to have the right bait!

Omer

Post by Omer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:18 pm

the pond wrote:dont fish the river it is dead fish point roadknight on low tide with bass yabbies you will catch so many and the point on low tide goes alright aswell lots of sweep around i got a video of me fishing there if that helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YmAkOZS ... jKIFcqrkbg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah highly unlikely that the fish kill was a 'natural event' but the government seems to put a blind eye on 'unimportant' things like this and with ease as well. Very little concern is given to small/medium sized rivers like this and like you mentioned big dough $$$ is involved.

Awesome video pond! Looks like yabbies really do the trick. I'm taking my bait bump hopefully i can snatch some bass yabbies up at the point when the low tide really kicks in, in the afternoon.
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

the pond

Post by the pond » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:05 pm

thanks you will smash them if you have yabbies!

Omer

Post by Omer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:07 pm

So i ended up fishing point roadknight during high and low tide and caught nothing but a huge toadie. I tried to pump some yabbies around there and also tried anglesea beach with no nippers in sight. I gather there aint many around or I'm just no good at pumping the little things up. Gorgeous weather though so I couldn't complain.

The weather was so good the next day we gave fishing a pass and took out the boogie boards for a bit of fun on the waves. Had a few hours to waste before dinner so gave Jan Juc surf a go for 3-4 hours and caught a banjo and also a small tommy rough. Nothing dinner worthy this trip but either way I love being out there.

Omer

the pond

Post by the pond » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:38 pm

thats strange where you pumping on lowtide on the sandbars near the point? i normally get heaps of them. what bait did u use at jan juc and i think this time of year there is only small salmon around i may be wrong?

Return to “Point Lonsdale to Lorne”