Otways & Appollo Bay

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
matt1991

Otways & Appollo Bay

Post by matt1991 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 am

Hey guys,

I am heading to the Otways this Australia Day weekend with a couple of mates to do some 4WD, camping and hopefully some Surf Fishing or any fishing.

I haven't fished down that way for a while and also off the surf usually its been a boat, rocks or off the pier.

I obviously have all the gear but was just wondering any tips or hints on where to go or what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :r

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Otways & Appollo Bay

Post by DougieK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 am

Johanna has a great reputation for Gummies and Salmon.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:26 am

Wild dog and marengo beaches are good as well for salmon......

azkay

Post by azkay » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:08 am

I bait fish with 12'+ gear out that way quite regularly, however don't usually go too far past Apollo Bay. The surf along the Great Ocean Road holds good numbers of Salmon, that's generally the main catch. Have caught/seen some decent bycatch too. Bigger species are around but i find them to be quite rare. Key for me has been to find clean water gutters. Rock platforms will give you access to deeper water, can get dangerous though. I've found Deeper Water = Less Bites but bigger salmon.. If you know they're around you have the option of changing to lures, Gillies 60g does the trick for me. Good Luck :)
Az.

matt1991

Post by matt1991 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:12 pm

Awesome! Iv'e got a 12 foot surf rods that not problem and i hook it up with my Penn Spinfisher - 750SSM. Any hints on how to spot out the gutters that is probably one of my biggest concerns.

drewb

Post by drewb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:19 am

matt1991 wrote:Awesome! Iv'e got a 12 foot surf rods that not problem and i hook it up with my Penn Spinfisher - 750SSM. Any hints on how to spot out the gutters that is probably one of my biggest concerns.
Gutters are darker water where the waves either break less or don't break at all is probably the simplest description. depends on how much water is moving around but they can also look like a rip where the water is running out into the ocean.

Fishsniper

Post by Fishsniper » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:31 am

Go down to the Aire river mouth at Hordern Vale and fish the surf there, you need a 4wd to get to the actual mouth,you can get Mulloway, gummies and Salmon on the right day and you can also camp there for free

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 am

drewb x 2

Look for where the waves don't break, the darker patch between two set of waves. Off rock platforms you may even be able to cast into deep water behind the last wave. I'll probably be working my way up from Lorne towards Apollo Bay looking for the fish on Saturday and/or Sunday. I'd be happy to give you a bell if i do find em (just pm me your number if you like). Otherwise good luck :)

Oh & there's a few known Rock Ledges there too. They're popular because they have produced in the past which is better for confidence in what your doing (& tend to me a little safer then just winging it too). Don't be afraid to keep stopping and have a chat to the older fisho's you see on the rocks/sand..

Be safe! I was in Portland last weekend and heard a young fella got taken by a rogue wave of some rocks nearby (hope his safe and well)..
Az.

Azzabigfish

Post by Azzabigfish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:29 pm

How'd you go mate any luck?

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”