Fishvic Portland Tuna Trip - The Lost Barrel - New video

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Fishvic Portland Tuna Trip - The Lost Barrel - New video

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:52 pm

thanks mate. ive only got a tcurve kingmack which is a 7 footer its a 15k rod i think, maybe a shorter 5'5 or 6 footer jigging rod might be more appropriate i think.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Good work fellas. Better luck next time!

The only advice i can give is next time motor off the fish to plain it up to the surface. Going around in circles gets the fish into a rhythm that's hard to break.

Cheers, Anth

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:09 pm

What a shame, next time it will be in the boat.

Drive away from the fish and plane it up.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Cheers guys yeah let's hope next time is in the boat.

In regards to driving. I was and will follow what the person who is on the fish is telling me to do. Easier that way. Unless they got no idea what they doing either in which case they shouldn't be on the rod regardless..
Ill have to watch some videos on how big fish are chased on a boat to get some idea next time.
My first instinct was to drive away and have the fish at the back of the boat. But i was following directions and didn't want to stuff things up as it was my first time chasing a fish

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:24 pm

It's a wonder that you didn't get dizzy. I got dizzy just watching the video

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:29 pm

purple5ive wrote:Cheers guys yeah let's hope next time is in the boat.

In regards to driving. I was and will follow what the person who is on the fish is telling me to do. Easier that way. Unless they got no idea what they doing either in which case they shouldn't be on the rod regardless..
Ill have to watch some videos on how big fish are chased on a boat to get some idea next time.
My first instinct was to drive away and have the fish at the back of the boat. But i was following directions and didn't want to stuff things up as it was my first time chasing a fish
purple...you cant beat experience. ......but your right the bloke on the rod knows exaxtly what needs to happen

bm

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:thanks mate. ive only got a tcurve kingmack which is a 7 footer its a 15k rod i think, maybe a shorter 5'5 or 6 footer jigging rod might be more appropriate i think.
A shorter rod is better for boats as long as there not like broom sticks. Short and flexible so can bend s d get lots of leverage to tift the fish up.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Great video mate just sat down and watched it.
Not criticisms but a few small observations.
1. At the start of the clip I noticed theres rods in the travel holders was the spread of lures out?
2. I didn't notice outriggers were you running them?
3. The gimble you guys were using didn't allow you to attach the rod in a harness style this may have been an energy saver for you throughout the fight.
4. The positioning of the boat throughout the fight which has already been discussed.

A few small 1% can be the difference between a caught fish and a lost fish. Great clip and trip by the way and my observations are by no way a criticism.

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback Re: planing the fish. I'm no expert myself, but I figured as the fish was taking runs away from the boat and my line was too weak and my reel had only 300m of spool on it, that I should try and get as close to the fish rather than away from it.

I will take your advice onboard and try that next time though. If that will land me the fish, then its good advice :)

Yes, the gimbal is crap. As I had lent my Black Magic harness to a mate who now "Can't find it", that PENN was what we could quickly buy from Portland Bait and Tackle that morning. However, I will not go out again without my Black Magic harness.

No outriggers.

Cheers

skye

Post by skye » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:56 pm

Chris - Time to invest in another equalizer then. Also settle the driving down a bit, slow and steady rather than power off the fish. Send me a message if you like and I'll give you a buzz to talk you few a things if you like.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”