Portland Report!

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
MsShimano

Portland Report!

Post by MsShimano » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:52 pm

I set out for the long drive Friday afternoon to Portland.. first drive up there on my own in over 10 years. It was a nice drive with the sun coming out of the clouds and lighting up the hills in the distance. Cops were out to play this Long weekend and it took me a bit longer then planned to get to Portland as I was going the speed limit all the way.

I arrived at 6pm and met up with a mate Kevin who was first at the cabin. After unpacking and cracking open a few beers we sat and talked until damo arrived. We ordered pizza and talked about the exciting fishing we have planned. An hour later..: yepi'mon arrived with his Mate Ian and we all cracked open a few more drinks and lots of laughs were shared. It was a nice way to wind down after a long drive.

We all headed to bed to wake up for the morning rcharter.
We were up at 6am with Kevin banging his head as he was waking up on the top bunk. There was lots of laughing and of course that was my alarm clock. I jumped out of bed excited. We all got ready and headed off to mcdonalds for some morning coffee then down to the ramp.
We met up with our charter and before you know it we were on the 30foot bass stait flying past lawrence rock at 80kmh. It was dead calm with very light winds but a nice 2m swell around 15secs apart. We got to the 60m line and started trolling. I have to say we had a gun decky and a gun skipper. Plenty of stories and laughs along the way. Some of us even got to drive the boat, set out spreads etc.
We trolled for a good few hours until the rod buckled and the tiagra 30 screamed.. what a noise.. everyone perked up and yemi'mon was first to the rod. He bought in a cracker of a fish. Estimated about 12kgs. After some hi fives and well dones we put out all the rods again. 2 were some nice xrap divers and the rest were skirts. Different sizes as we were trying to tempt the barrels too!
Nick the decky gave me a spin outfit to hold as we were trolling a stick bait. He said that they got a fish like that last weekend.

I stood there for an hour, teasing the stick bait in the water, trying to get them to come up... nothing.. my mate came out and I asked if he wanted the rod. He said no his alright.. within 5 minutes he could see I was tired so he took it from me. I went inside the cabin to grab a drink and I hear "FISH ON" I come out and I see Steven hooked up to a fish on my spin set!!!! If only I hadn't given it up! Hahaha.. shattered

We trolled around the rest of the day with only 2 fish on board but it was very quiet. Many charters and private boats struggled that day.
We went in, cleaned our two beauties and got back to the cabin. We cut up the fish for some shashimi and enioyed with a few drinks before everyone got ready to go to the pub for dinner.
What a night. Let's just leave that one to the imagination.

With some of us getting in early and some of us getting back at 3am we all had to get up for 6am to be at the ramp for the 2nd day of fishing.

We headed west of Lawrence rock this time and got the lures into the water. We trolled around for 3 hours win no bite... the skipper saw some tuna birds sitting calmly in the water a few hundred feet out and slowly started heading there. With bait on the sounder and him yelling "get ready!!!!" We were hooked on a double! I run up to one rod and start winding in the bad boy. It was a fight this one. The sea was very rough with 20knot winds and 3.5m swells it made it very hard to keep balance. I was being thrown around but once I found a sweet spot I tried to stay there until I head to move around the boat to follow the fish. Within 10 mins he was up and boated. What a feeling that was. What a fight. The adrenaline was going through every vein in my body and I felt pumped.
We threw the lures back in and within minutes we were on a 4 way hook up!!!! Every fish was landed and the boys had a ball. We were on 6 fish by now. 3 of us bagged out...
We threw the lures in again slowly turned the boat and trolled through the tuna birds: we hooked a double but it spat the hooks. Shattered we threw the lures back in. bANGGG fish on and we were hooked up for another 4 way !!!!! I was on this one with the boys and we landed all 4 fish!!!
Yeeeeehhhaaa 10 fish in the boat baby!!!! The bite was on and we ended up with 16 choona. Even the decky and skipper bagged out. Content with massive smiles on our faces we head back in at 3pm. After photos and cleaning of the fish we went to the pub for a well deserve meal and drinks.:: lots of drinks...: let's just say I don't remember half of the night and Let's leave it at that!!!
IMG_8903.PNG
IMG_8902.PNG
IMG_8900.PNG
IMG_8899.PNG
IMG_8897.JPG
Attachments
IMG_8901.PNG
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

mooneyz

Re: Portland Report!

Post by mooneyz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Haha thats awesome. Sounds like a great weekend

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Any seasickness after all them bevvies??? Top effort on the trip

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm

canned_tuna wrote:Any seasickness after all them bevvies??? Top effort on the trip
Had 3 people be sick on different days. Haha. I felt awesome.. haven't been sea sick yet even with many drinks.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Sounds like a bloody awesome trip
Well done

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Mitch's boat is a beast. Ripper bloke too. Good to see he put you onto some fish.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Sounds like a cracking weekend. Nice work..

Feathor

Post by Feathor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Well done, good to see some fish being landed. Always good to go home with a feed of fresh tuna!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Great report!
Awesome catch :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 pm

ducky wrote:Mitch's boat is a beast. Ripper bloke too. Good to see he put you onto some fish.
Never felt so smooth on a boat in my life.... Crew were absolute legends as well. Never seen a decky work so hard on a charter to find the fish.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”