Portland - 13/10 - AM - The trip where I almost cried

Apollo Bay, Port Campbell, Warnambool, Port Fairy, Portland, Nelson
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Re: Portland - 13/10 - AM - The trip where I almost cried

Post by StarrangerAU » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Texas wrote:Loved your report
I lost a huge (& It's getting bigger) yellowbelly on the cod trip, one year ...... (That's my story 3 years later)
Cheers Gra

Can I string out this one story for three years? My god, in 3 years it's going to grow into a two meter monster with 3 heads, launch itself out of the water, eat the gaffer guys left arm with one head, and bite through the tackle with the other.
:rofl:

Yota
Has liked: 114 times

Post by Yota » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 pm

Great report, that story is enough to keep me going back and keep on trying.

Al03

Post by Al03 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 am

Got back last night after 3 days at Portland. Fished the Lee several times day and night, without much success. A side note to this, is the traffic on this break wall during daylight hours is incredible. You have to look both ways before you can lean back and cast out. Got yakking to a fella from Portland bait and Tackle who told me that 3 snapper had been caught in the last two days. Four kilo, seven and nine kilo. Also found that there were a few kelp monsters around. Only real joy I had was at Shelley's beach where small mullet were on the chew. Threw one out as a livey with a 2/0 hook and smashed a 3 pound salmon. Another point of interest for me was that the locals are terrific and welcome us fishos with open arms. All in all, a great few days with the bonus of a nice Salmon that was put on the BBQ.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am

Sounds like not a bad few days up there mate.
Will you be planning another trip up that way?

Al03

Post by Al03 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am

Yes, am going back. Unfinished business there. Possibly early December depending on work and the minister of war and finance.

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 pm

Al03 wrote:Got back last night after 3 days at Portland. Fished the Lee several times day and night, without much success. A side note to this, is the traffic on this break wall during daylight hours is incredible. You have to look both ways before you can lean back and cast out. .......
Yeah , it does seem to get busy. Though, if you get in early at sun up you do have the pick of the spots ( and by spots I mean those with decent ledges down to the waterline. I developed teh same opinion of the locals.... very friendly and chatty.

Return to “Apollo Bay to Portland”