Quick Gunners session..

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Quick Gunners session..

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10 pm

mazman wrote:i'll come down there just give a location and time.
janjuc, 2330PM, this Saturday :haha2:

Poor Brett. I will post pics to tease him and lure him out of bed :sleepy1: . :fishing: Get well soon Buddy. The 3kg+ salmon is waiting for you.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 pm

The guns in Gunners fell silent, not a single shot was fired after more than 3 hours of spinning and kilometer after kilometer of hike back and forth the beach. Not a hit, not a touch, not even sea weeds. That place is cursed. :bat: I did not see anyone pull a fish but I am sure with that many anglers in Gunners, someone must have caught something while I was cursing the salmon gods.

Me got dough nut, big one!

Caught one surfer who launched in front of me and decided to keep my lure. I hope it ripped a big hole on his suit. :bat:
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:37 pm

I would love to come and piff some lures around tomorrow, unfortunately, I'm still crook with the flu. I also have 2 jobs I need to quote tomorrow, yay. That takes preferance over fishing at the moment.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Fish-cador wrote:The guns in Gunners fell silent, not a single shot was fired after more than 3 hours of spinning and kilometer after kilometer of hike back and forth the beach. Not a hit, not a touch, not even sea weeds. That place is cursed. :bat: I did not see anyone pull a fish but I am sure with that many anglers in Gunners, someone must have caught something while I was cursing the salmon gods.

Me got dough nut, big one!

Caught one surfer who launched in front of me and decided to keep my lure. I hope it ripped a big hole on his suit. :bat:
Hey mate, walked right the way along, caught one small fella up the far end..I swear he was gonna chase the bloody lure up the beach, hit it right on the waters edge after a couple of bumps..

Carl..

PS, sorry to hear that Brett, would like to have seen you there tomorrow..

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:55 pm

here is what happened today. Carl went to Gunners and I went to Portsea.

Arrived 130PM and had a good start on LIGHT gear. Fish on the second cast, about 400 gram - tossed back. Missed some hits but I was convinced I will be in for something special. My third hook up was a big one and it sat behind the gutter and wont budge. The wash did not help so I tried to muscle the fish out of the hole on a light gear. The fish suddenly took off and I heard "creak". :whoh: Oh ****! then POP! :whoh: My Shimano Flatspin 8ft~ish, 2-5 kg graphite rod, 2 pcs became 3 pcs. :wall: :wall: :wall: . To make matters worse, I lost the fish and I did not even see it. :angryfire: Well that was indeed special...in a bad way.

Sprinted back to the car and arrived at the car park huffing and panting like a dog. Sent SMS to Carl to relay the bad news. He was having a ball in Gunners. Grabbed the heavy gear (the Catana 9 footer) and headed back to the water. Well, it seemed that the fish knew I had the heavy gear - they disappeared! :bat: More than 1 hour of casting without a hit then the fish arrived again at the top of the tide. Bagged 4 nice ones to 800 grams, tossed back the small ones. Then it all went quiet again. Decided to change lure by 5PM, 25 grams twister and had a double hook up straight away (I use 2 x trebles on my lures, 1 each end). well well well...the fish were there but wont take the Gillies lures. Next cast! BOOM. Big one. I was already dreaming of winning the Salmon Competition. :crazy: :crazy: When I landed the fish, I thought this is it, I will win!.

Too late to had it weighed in the tackle shop and I was feeling cold (7C in Portsea). Headed home, took out the lie detector (digital scale). BUGGAH!, it touched only 2kg and if I wipe out the sand, It will probably drop to 1.5 kg. :roflmao: So much for the excitement. I did not even beat Carl's 2kg entry. Oh well, maybe next time.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Fish-cador wrote:here is what happened today. Carl went to Gunners and I went to Portsea.

Arrived 130PM and had a good start on LIGHT gear. Fish on the second cast, about 400 gram - tossed back. Missed some hits but I was convinced I will be in for something special. My third hook up was a big one and it sat behind the gutter and wont budge. The wash did not help so I tried to muscle the fish out of the hole on a light gear. The fish suddenly took off and I heard "creak". :whoh: Oh shizen!! then POP! :whoh: My Shimano Flatspin 8ft~ish, 2-5 kg graphite rod, 2 pcs became 3 pcs. :wall: :wall: :wall: . To make matters worse, I lost the fish and I did not even see it. :angryfire: Well that was indeed special...in a bad way.

Sprinted back to the car and arrived at the car park huffing and panting like a dog. Sent SMS to Carl to relay the bad news. He was having a ball in Gunners. Grabbed the heavy gear (the Catana 9 footer) and headed back to the water. Well, it seemed that the fish knew I had the heavy gear - they disappeared! :bat: More than 1 hour of casting without a hit then the fish arrived again at the top of the tide. Bagged 4 nice ones to 800 grams, tossed back the small ones. Then it all went quiet again. Decided to change lure by 5PM, 25 grams twister and had a double hook up straight away (I use 2 x trebles on my lures, 1 each end). well well well...the fish were there but wont take the Gillies lures. Next cast! BOOM. Big one. I was already dreaming of winning the Salmon Competition. :crazy: :crazy: When I landed the fish, I thought this is it, I will win!.

Too late to had it weighed in the tackle shop and I was feeling cold (7C in Portsea). Headed home, took out the lie detector (digital scale). BUGGAH!, it touched only 2kg and if I wipe out the sand, It will probably drop to 1.5 kg. :roflmao: So much for the excitement. I did not even beat Carl's 2kg entry. Oh well, maybe next time.
At least you guys got to wet a line and lure, me my ride piked it. Thought I had it all tee'd up but come 1pm no show so missed the action.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Gunners was fun today...the fish were nowhere near the size Fish Cador, was getting. I don`t think I got one over 400grams, but boy were they there in numbers...Was also strange that they switched off and back on the same times as Portsea...(was getting texts from the man Fish Cador).
Highlight of the day was watching the lure coming down the face of the wave as it neared the beach, with salmon chasing it down...happened a few times...was truly awesome to watch. Walking back along gunners, talked to a few people, was a very quiet day overall, with no great quantity of fish...
Carl..

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:17 pm

CarlG wrote:Gunners was fun today...the fish were nowhere near the size Fish Cador, was getting. I don`t think I got one over 400grams, but boy were they there in numbers...Was also strange that they switched off and back on the same times as Portsea...(was getting texts from the man Fish Cador).
Highlight of the day was watching the lure coming down the face of the wave as it neared the beach, with salmon chasing it down...happened a few times...was truly awesome to watch. Walking back along gunners, talked to a few people, was a very quiet day overall, with no great quantity of fish...
Carl..
The "quantity" was in Gunners but the "quality" was in Portsea.

and bugger that big fish that cost me my $120 rod. That rod caught at least 200 salmon in the last 3 months from the local piers plus the countless gars so I think it served me well. Will never go light again in the surf. Lesson learned - it was like playing Russian roulette when using light gear in the surf. It's only a matter of time to hook something that the rod can't handle. First time ever I broke a rod while fighting a fish.

I looked at the break in the rod. It was a clean cut, I am thinking if inserting a solid graphite rod into the blank to join the pieces together. I think I can make it work. I just need to find a good insert and use epoxy to glue the pcs permamently. On my to do list now.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

CrazyChenski

Post by CrazyChenski » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

Nice of you boys are having fun there. .....

I was out there with 2 mates. And my tally of the day using bait:

- 2x line tangle with other people (blaming this on my lousy cast).....
- 2x table my own line ......
- Lost ganged hooks (looks like I didn't close the eye of the hook properly)...
- 1x crapped out reel (ok, not a bad lose here, as it was a lousy ebay made in china non-named reel that I got for $16)
- 1x Busted main line with full rigging while ion middle of cast.....

And the result using metal lure:
- Massive birdnest on my 15lb mono (I wouldn't had thought this is possible, but I did it)....

And number of fish caught.... One Big Fat Doughnut !

Spoken afew people when they walk by when they were heading home. Afew people casting metal lure seems doing better than the bait fisho like me..... Including one nice gentlement (with pommy accent) told me about the just sized salmon near the 1st rock near Point Schank..... If you are in this forum, nice to meet you !

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Quick Gunners session..

Post by Brett » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

I'm guessing the "pommy accent" guy, will have been CarlG, from this forum.

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”