11/12 At the Gun..

Biggame

Re: 11/12 At the Gun..

Post by Biggame » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:01 am

Hey Carl just a question what type of lures are you using? I have been trying the halco twisty 20gm but had no luck. Just curious

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 am

Biggame wrote:Hey Carl just a question what type of lures are you using? I have been trying the halco twisty 20gm but had no luck. Just curious
Gillies baitfish in white as a rule, 40gram for the setup I`m using. If the wind goes side-ish, I`ll go to a 50 gold laser, purely for weight. If the fish are there, they`ll hit a halco no worries. As Brett said somewhere else on here, alter your retrieve, some times I cast out, just take in the slack, let the lure sink for 5 or 10 secconds, then work it from there, three winds fast, three slow, sometimes a not-too-fast but steady retrieve is the order of the day...try them all..

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:39 am

Breamster wrote:Even if you didn't land a fish, the sunset looked magnificent.
Yeah, it is an awe-insipiring place at times..sunrise can be sensational as well..you`ll be casting away in semi darkness, then all of a sudden, the sun climbs just enough behind you, gets over the top of the dunes, and the surf literally lights up for a few minutes...it is stunning really, hard to describe until you`ve seen it...I always feel pretty lucky to live 6 or 7 minutes away from such a place...as I`ve often said to people there, a fish is a bonus really, half the pleasure is just wandering along a fantastic beach..

Biggame

Post by Biggame » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Sweet thanks Carl appreciate the tips

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Biggame wrote:Sweet thanks Carl appreciate the tips
No worries mate. There`s no rocket science involved in fishing for salmon, if they`re there, and you cast into the right places, your gonna catch them. You`ll hear different people tell you different things. "cast into the gutters", "cast into the wash", whatever...I find that the buggers hang out wherever the hell they feel like at different times. My favourite is to flick into the edges and changes in the water, but that is purely a personal thing, and subject to change. At Gunners, the wash and the rips are very clearly defined at the moment, firing in to the dividing lines normally produces fish, but it is not a hard and fast rule, for instance, the other night, I wandered up to a rip, and there was a big dark blue patch in the middle...guess what that was..? Yet, further up the beach, firing into the wash produced some good fish..Just prospect casting is the very best way to find `em..there are no hard and fast rules..as I said to begin with, if they`re there, in all likelihood, you`ll catch them..

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:23 pm

CarlG wrote:
Biggame wrote:Sweet thanks Carl appreciate the tips
No worries mate. There`s no rocket science involved in fishing for salmon, if they`re there, and you cast into the right places, your gonna catch them. You`ll hear different people tell you different things. "cast into the gutters", "cast into the wash", whatever...I find that the buggers hang out wherever the hell they feel like at different times. My favourite is to flick into the edges and changes in the water, but that is purely a personal thing, and subject to change. At Gunners, the wash and the rips are very clearly defined at the moment, firing in to the dividing lines normally produces fish, but it is not a hard and fast rule, for instance, the other night, I wandered up to a rip, and there was a big dark blue patch in the middle...guess what that was..? Yet, further up the beach, firing into the wash produced some good fish..Just prospect casting is the very best way to find `em..there are no hard and fast rules..as I said to begin with, if they`re there, in all likelihood, you`ll catch them..
Great advice Carl can't wait to hit the surf with metal for the first time
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Raul, so are you in for a short session tomorrow around 5PM? I will be there.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Raul, so are you in for a short session tomorrow around 5PM? I will be there.
Family commitment at 6pm tomorrow . I'm dying to get though gears all set. Gotta hurry before the salmon move or Carl and yourself :fishing: clean them out. Are you going on Sat at all in the arvo
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

saturday's wind direction will be mostly southerly and will be windy in the morning. Will calm down in the afternoon but we cant be sure if the surf will be friendly. Let's see how it goes. I might drop by, have a look and if the surf is angry I will go for cala.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”