Sambos at Gunna

surfspin

Sambos at Gunna

Post by surfspin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm

I've been reading a bit about the Sambos at Gunna lately, and wanting to know just how reliable they are?
Are they normally there at this time of year? What else is available? I'm just sick of piers and no fish, and idiots!
From the surf I normally spin with 40gm slugs for Sambos, if there's Mullet around, what baits / hooks should I use?
I also use surf poppers and have had results on them on quite a few different species in the surf.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Sambos at Gunna

Post by raco09 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm

surfspin wrote:I've been reading a bit about the Sambos at Gunna lately, and wanting to know just how reliable they are?
Are they normally there at this time of year? What else is available? I'm just sick of piers and no fish, and idiots!
From the surf I normally spin with 40gm slugs for Sambos, if there's Mullet around, what baits / hooks should I use?
I also use surf poppers and have had results on them on quite a few different species in the surf.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Hey mate, not sure if they are there at this time of the year. Carl.G is the best man to ask. :thumbsup: The last few times ive been there ive been spinning with a slug mainly coz i dont have to stay in the same spot. Yeah you will get mullet and ive heard of the occasional flathead caught from the surf. I use a double paternosta rig, with pipi, bluebait, squid, or pilchard. Then again, if you after something bigger, try your luck on a gummy shark. If you catch a salmon or mullet, make it into bait. Hope this helps.
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 pm

In answer to your question mate, they`re always around, but the larger models should be off on their spawning run before long. If we get a couple of days of northerlies, I`ll give you a more definative reply..

Kenworth

Post by Kenworth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am

Im going down tomorrow morning at 5.00am , to catch the dawn and high tide and have a walk around.
I struck out the last week , but I do enjoy the walk and playing with my new spin rod.
And besides im back to work on Tuesday after a 5 week break , so its back to weekend fishing from now on.
Ive had the longest break ive had for over 10 years , has been awesome , went fishing all over Vic from Gippsland to the GOR coast , surf , river and charter trips. :water:
Good for the mind and soul
I Hate being bipolar , Its Great !

surfspin

Post by surfspin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Kenworth wrote:Im going down tomorrow morning at 5.00am , to catch the dawn and high tide and have a walk around.
I struck out the last week , but I do enjoy the walk and playing with my new spin rod.
And besides im back to work on Tuesday after a 5 week break , so its back to weekend fishing from now on.
Ive had the longest break ive had for over 10 years , has been awesome , went fishing all over Vic from Gippsland to the GOR coast , surf , river and charter trips. :water:
Good for the mind and soul
Sounds like you had a great time, let us know how you went at Gunna. I'll never tire of watching the waves on a surf beach, the fact that there are fish in there is just a bonus! Also, it's easier to get a way from the undesirables that seem to be inflicting our piers of late!

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”