They are back

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

They are back

Post by poodoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 pm

Went down to rosebud after work to pick up a new handle for the shimano reel at pen total tackle. Couldn't believe for a screw that got lost in the surf last time it would require a whole new handle :doh1:

Since I was down that side of town I decided to pop down to gunners :2guns: to have a bit of a spin in the 34 degree heat. Turned out to be a good decision. :thumbsup: Water was clear and there wasn't much white wash around.

However the whole family of salmon was playing in the surf today from the 25 CM babies to the big 1.5 KG models. 2nd cast, turn the reel twice and was onto a big 1 - 1.5 kg model, brought it in close it jumped twice in the air and threw the trebles, next cast same thing, at this stage I thought you have to be kidding! :dontknow 3rd cast managed to bring one in 1.5 KG :woohoo: , 4th cast lost one in the last breaker, 5th cast another 1.5 KG model, let him go. Only problem was the hot spot was inbetween all the surfers and by this time there were too many infront of me to cast. Was a popular day for surfos today as the car park was full.

So i walk down the beach and there are plenty of the smaller ones around 25 - 40 cm, no more big ones though. No one fishing, had the beach to myself..... :sun:

One lure that rules over all sizes of salmon today the trusty gillies 40 gram baitfish!

Might need to try some singles to see if that helps with keeping them on when they jump..... :whoh:
Attachments
gun.PNG
gun.PNG (181.71 KiB) Viewed 843 times

Master-pro

Re: They are back

Post by Master-pro » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Wow nice poodoo, need to get there ad soon as! What was the wind like and what tide was it?
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Was a Northerly wind fished the lead up to the high....

alexczarn

Post by alexczarn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm

Great report mate, ah yes, singles, I found they hook the fish way more securely in the corner of the jaw; perfect hookup.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

alexczarn wrote:Great report mate, ah yes, singles, I found they hook the fish way more securely in the corner of the jaw; perfect hookup.
Ah yeah just have to get round to doing it......these are probably small compared to the ones in SA.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:36 pm

great to know "They are back" poodoo!

I am heading down that general direction tomorrow for a week.

Does anyone know if Gunners is fishable with these strong easterly winds predicted for this Wed/Thurs/Friday?
sbreeze.jpg
sbreeze.jpg (40.55 KiB) Viewed 823 times
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 am

Portsea would probably be a better option on an easterly, but gunners should be fishable. The wind would be coming from over your left shoulder. Try and remember where the sun was when we were there last yr, and go from that

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

I reckon you will be fine with an easterly.....a bit of a cross wind to push that lure out a bit further!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

fishingvic wrote:great to know "They are back" poodoo!

I am heading down that general direction tomorrow for a week.

Does anyone know if Gunners is fishable with these strong easterly winds predicted for this Wed/Thurs/Friday?
sbreeze.jpg
I`m planning friday arvo there Jon. And/or sunday morning. Easterlies are just about fishable, but if it takes a slight southerly shift, you`ll be getting sandblasted. Your best option is to cast slightly to your right whilst looking out to sea, will make life much easier...

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

i'll be down there if I don't have to work on friday night.......

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”