Next logical upgrade from a Catana

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Next logical upgrade from a Catana

Post by DougieK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 am

Been using a Catana with a Daiwa pro caster all year, it being christmas and lots of sales going on I thought I'd look for a bit of an upgrade for myself.

I'm pretty confident on the Stradic series of reels, wondering what you all think a good matching 9ish foot spin rod is.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

GTSHoon

Re: Next logical upgrade from a Catana

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:56 am

Nitro surf assassin
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:06 am

^ 12 foot is probably a bit long and $400 is probably out of the question. There is a 9 foot version there but it's 10-20kg which is way to heavy for what i want to do, and a 10 6 version which is 3-6 which is probably a touch on the light side.

Other ideas?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 am

I said the wrong model is it the messiah spin????? That's 9ft i think
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:38 am

DougieK wrote:^ 12 foot is probably a bit long and $400 is probably out of the question. There is a 9 foot version there but it's 10-20kg which is way to heavy for what i want to do, and a 10 6 version which is 3-6 which is probably a touch on the light side.

Other ideas?
You down at gunners saturday evening...?
If so, try out one of the two I had made. Will even stick a strad on for ya....but you gotta promise to keep your shirt on...lol

Abuthen

Post by Abuthen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Someone was selling a 9foot Lateo Pirates .. but is sold i believe..

You can get a 10'6" model from Rayannes for $289. 5-9kg
Abuthen

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:08 pm

GTSHoon wrote:I said the wrong model is it the messiah spin????? That's 9ft i think
Do you mean the magnum butt? They are bloody awesome for surf spinning! I caught hundreds of salmon on it before it got pinched! :-x :bat:

The sniper is a great surf rod for calmer days and beach whiting! To this day my pb gummy(7kg) was on this rod. Nitro rods are well known for pulling at and above their ratings unlike some other manufacturers. They are very sensitive but have plenty of power in the butt which belies their light weight!

The surf assassin is my all rounder for the surf and rocks and its not too tip heavy on calm days either. I snapped one of my tips awhile back and they let me keep my old short tip so now I have a different tip section(for the same rod) depending on conditions. Pretty cool thing which you cant really do with other manufacturers.

The messiah is a great rod aswell but only for heavy surf/rock/pier snapper fishing! Its only drawback is its quite tippy for a rod of its power and starts to struggles to punch above 4oz at 100% casting power. This is very handy during bite detection though, so its kinda a tradeoff. If you need to use more than 4oz lead in the surf its probably too rough or your fishing in a rip :r Theres literally nothing in melbournes bays you cant stop with one of these rods and a decent reel loaded with 40lb braid. As long as you can fight the lactic acid build up you will be able to land anything :lol:

Not sure if they are in your budget, but they are definitely worth saving up for IMO if you look after your gear!
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Yesterday I ordered a custom stick off the bloke that built my trout rod.

MHX SU1085-2 blank. 9 foot. 3/4-2 1/2 oz cast. 10-20lb line. It should come in around the $280 mark with quality guides and sweet VSS grips. If you're interested I only spoke to him yesterday so he could easily add another blank to the order.

I'm also getting him to build me a Jewie stick. 7 foot 8-14lb. Should go nicely with a 2508 reel.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:55 pm

i just got got a 9ft shimano sonic pro and match't to dawia aird 3500-4000 size reel with 300 yrs of 20lb fins braid also got some mono for 4000 spool just to fill it with something. so id say 3000 to 5000 depending on what you trying to catch
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

FishSamFish

Post by FishSamFish » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 pm

http://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/prod ... n_rod_7630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

inexpensive..

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”