Map chart of Gunnamatta

Ant2014

Map chart of Gunnamatta

Post by Ant2014 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Anyone know where you can download a chart of the beach?
Not knowing what to look for ie gullies etc just want to find a good spot on the beach to fish. Or a good site to explain what to look and how to identify it for on a beach (Gully, reef, rips etc)

Cheers
Ant

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Map chart of Gunnamatta

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:55 pm

Im a bit of a noob to surf fishing, so anyone more experienced than me please correct anything here (CarlG etc) But im pretty sure the gutters move around constantly due to the sand moving in the surf.

The things I look for when surf fishing is where the water is a little darker, and for where the waves stop breaking and flatten out to swell again, then start breaking again, Im pretty sure thats where the gutters are. Its easier to see if you can get a high vantage point. The other thing you can do is fish the edges of rips.

As I said, Im a noob at surf fishing, so anyone, feel free to correct me.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Another good way is get there at low tide stand up on high ground and you will see where the deeper water is and the sand bars are, then when high tide comes you pick your spots
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Post by raco09 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:04 pm

As above. keep in mind gutters change all the time. Meaning they wont be in the same spot they were when you fished there 3 months ago. Good luck .
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Ant2014

Post by Ant2014 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Cheers. I think it will be just luck then as I plan on getting there 00:00, not much seeing to do :-)

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Ant2014 wrote:Cheers. I think it will be just luck then as I plan on getting there 00:00, not much seeing to do :-)
Fish a) right in front of the stairs, or b) Walk to the left about a 100 metres, just past the first sandy headland.
A chart would be worse than useless at gunners, over the last six months it has changed from one form to another to another..the area in front of the stairs stays the same because of the rocky formation to the right of it.

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm

There was a huge gutter at the bottom of the first steps at the bottom carpark, lots of small Salmon, a few larger ones and also a gummy
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:44 pm

the beach will change after rough weather and things will move around hence the need to observe either at low tide or from a high vantage point. when it comes to salmon theycan be anywhere surfing the waves, hiding in the wash or cruising through a gutter.

Ant2014

Post by Ant2014 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm

CarlG wrote:
Ant2014 wrote:Cheers. I think it will be just luck then as I plan on getting there 00:00, not much seeing to do :-)
Fish a) right in front of the stairs, or b) Walk to the left about a 100 metres, just past the first sandy headland.
A chart would be worse than useless at gunners, over the last six months it has changed from one form to another to another..the area in front of the stairs stays the same because of the rocky formation to the right of it.
Thanks mate, lower carpark I'm guessing. Going To be there Sat about 01:00. Just making up chook pellets, cat food and tuna oil ice blocks.

Thanks also to everyone else! All noted!!!

Was also going to take my bush spit and cook up a lamb gyros, are charcoal fires allowed on the beach?
Attachments
image.jpg

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm

nope you can't have an open fire there:

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... egulations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”