where to fish in gunnamatta beach?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: where to fish in gunnamatta beach?

Post by DougieK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Fishn104 wrote:Just out of curiosity Carl, what outfit do you use for spinning?
Cheers Ben

Depends how many rods he broke this week :P
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
BryanM wrote:
CarlG wrote:
BryanM wrote:hi guys, I'm planning hit the beach this Saturday morning, this is my first time for surf fishing, just wondering where exactly the right spot and where do i park my car?? Thanks!!!
Bait soaking or spinning..?
both...i guess? which one is more efficient way??

Spinning requires less gear and you are more mobile. Both techniques can work well, sometimes the fish will take bait and other times prefer lures.

Spinning requires moving up and down the beach until you get lucky, where as bait fishing is finding a hole and waiting until the fish find your bait.
I'm planning use 2 rod 1 for bait fishing, 1 for spinning .... but my question is how to find a gutter?

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 pm

CarlG wrote:
BryanM wrote:
CarlG wrote:
BryanM wrote:hi guys, I'm planning hit the beach this Saturday morning, this is my first time for surf fishing, just wondering where exactly the right spot and where do i park my car?? Thanks!!!
Bait soaking or spinning..?
both...i guess? which one is more efficient way??
Bait works, but I prefer spinning, hardly any gear to carry, and you can walk as much or as little as you like. Winter, I find more fish at the far end of gunners, as you head up towards cape schanck, summer, they seem to be pretty well near the carpark..thats only my experience though, so a pretty limited base of results from which to make a statement..
So, in conclusion, park your car in the second carpark, walk down the wooden steps, have a few casts there if your spinning, move on if you don't get any hits, try a few more casts, rinse and repeat till your up around the rocks at the far end of gunners. If your baitfishing..find a spot as near to the steps as you can, chuck in your rig and bait of choice, sit back and wait for something to happen..
Thanks Carl! :good: That's really useful.... :P another question is what kinda of bait you normally use in gunners? sorry, just have too many questions.....

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:53 pm

There is a permanent gutter 100m to the left of the stairs from the bottom carpark.

The rest of the beach changes composition fairly frequently, walking south east (toward cape schanck lighthouse) there can be anywhere from 2 - 5 more depending on what the latest storm left us.

There is a really distinctive rock formation in the water. about 2km down the beach, there is often a really productive hole 200m on the carpark side of that rock formation that not many people get all the way down too.

Sneaky edit :- you absolutely do not need to fish the gutters to get fish on this beach. Bait soaking it may be beneficial to do so, but if you do just take a spin rod make sure you "prospect cast" as you're walking along the beach.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 pm

DougieK wrote:There is a permanent gutter 100m to the left of the stairs from the bottom carpark.

The rest of the beach changes composition fairly frequently, walking south east (toward cape schanck lighthouse) there can be anywhere from 2 - 5 more depending on what the latest storm left us.

There is a really distinctive rock formation in the water. about 2km down the beach, there is often a really productive hole 200m on the carpark side of that rock formation that not many people get all the way down too.

Sneaky edit :- you absolutely do not need to fish the gutters to get fish on this beach. Bait soaking it may be beneficial to do so, but if you do just take a spin rod make sure you "prospect cast" as you're walking along the beach.
Cool!!! thank you so much! that should be more than enough for me to try...

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 pm

It's not that long, Carl and I have walked the length of it 2-3 times in a session.

Remember that Sambo's are mostly a school fish, if you get one, then you're likely to get a few more in the same spot.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:51 pm

great info! I'm gonna try gunnamatta for the first time tonight. Might let the old man sit and watch the bait rods while i go for a walk spinning.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:04 pm

DougieK wrote:
Cheers Ben

Lol...thanks for that Dougie...
I use a 9'3" pacific composites 'salmon heavy' blank, cut down from the original 12' size..allied to a van staal 250 reel. Sounds extreme, but I do a LOT of salmon fishing. Basically, use a 9' spinning rod with a 4000 size reel and your sorted. 5kg braid, 500mm of 16lb flouro, 40-50gram lure...job done..
For the bait fishos, pillies and blue bait seem the most popular choices, but thats just what I've observed.
For spotting gutters and rips, look for the flatter sections of water between the sections with the waves forming up on them..if you search the term 'spotting gutters' on here, there are some class posts from various members on the subject.

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:17 am

I bait fish Gunnamatta a bit. Simple because I like to go there just to chill out. My favourite spot is around 500 meters left from the stairs. Usually a decent gutter there but like someone else said, a gutter is not mandatory. I've pulled decent fish in from the wash and from just behind the shore break. Best results for me have usually been on a paternoster rig with a lime green or blue surf popper on top and ganged pillie on the bottom. Most fish have been caught on the popper. Been using a pulley rig lately with some great results. Berley helps. Spinning is a great way to fish to although my results are mixed. Just walk the beach. Stop every 20 meters or so, fire off a dozen casts and if you don't get a touch move on until you find them. Mix your retrieves up, occasional stop- start, or bounce it off the bottom or rip it back as fast as you can until you find something that works. Gunna is a beautiful beach and half the joy is just being there, so take some time to soak it in.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:05 pm

CarlG wrote:
DougieK wrote:
Cheers Ben

Lol...thanks for that Dougie...
:dontknow

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”