Warneet report 20 August

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Vargs

Warneet report 20 August

Post by Vargs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:23 pm

After weeks of seemingly crappy weather on weekends there was finally a good forecast last weekend. My plan was to head to quail bank and catch my first squid and then head to deeper water and see what was around. Get to the ramp at 1pm and conditions looked great. Carpark was pretty full as you would expect on the first good weather in a long time.

(Sorry if the pics are put of order but not 100% how all the posting works)

Threw out jigs and had one float behind the boat for an hour, drifting in 2-4 meters. Used 4 different jigs but not a hit of any kind. I must be squid poison because I can not get even close to catching one.

Gave that up and moved out to 16m of water and had pippie on small circle hooks and smoked eel on large circle hooks. Only had pippie out for a few minutes before the rod loads up. I start winding, things go weird and then a seal pops up holding a flatty in its mouth with my hook still in the flatty's mouth. I cut that that line. The seal plays with the fish, throwing it around for a minute and then swims off.

A rod with the eel loads up, I start winding and then seal comes back and takes that fish. I start peeling line, the rods get tangled and so I cut that too. It was annoying but also cool to see as this critter does multiple laps of the boat.

Next two hours were pretty good as we caught 6 couta, 6 flathead and one yakka. Only kept 2 couta and the yakka for bait and the 2 just legal flatty as my daughter wanted a small feed.

The weather stayed great and as you can see it was like a millpond. Headed beak to the ramp just before 5 with fish still biting. While we did not get any good table fish what we got was fun to catch and my daughter got to wind in several fish.

First time I have used circle hooks and I liked them more than the long shanks I usually use. the hookup rate seemed better and they were easier to get out so I could release fish with less damage. Only one flathead was hooked deep.

Hopefully the forecast for this weekend is correct and Sunday is good to get out. If anyone has a tip for squid I could bloody well use it.
Attachments
Near end of day still water.JPG
Warneet ramp on arrival.JPG

Vargs

Re: Warneet report 20 August

Post by Vargs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Seal and a catch.
Attachments
Seal tangle.JPG
the thief

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:28 am

Nice report and catch! Well done :thumbsup:

Kosta7

Post by Kosta7 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:01 am

Nice report mate, thanks

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 am

Happy to be getting something on board
Attachments
Couta.JPG
Happy to be getting something on board

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 pm

nice report mate! I pull the lines in for 10 minutes until the seals leave.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 pm

I was gunna head out fri arvo and do what you did today and fish at night/mornen for a gummy or snapper.

But im going to the footy sunday and the mrs said she would castrate me if i fished and footied it up all weekend.

But the next few weeks in ready to go

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Looks like a great arvo
Few fish
Time spent with your daughter on the boat.

Does it get much better

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:34 am

Love how seals mock you after stealing your fish, such jerks!! I had one try to get into a tinny we hired once!! Gave it a clip with the rod before it put any weight on the boat, otherwise we would have flipped!! Didn't help that the mrs threw it a pilchard :down:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 am

crumpet_avenger wrote:I was gunna head out fri arvo and do what you did today and fish at night/mornen for a gummy or snapper.

But im going to the footy sunday and the mrs said she would castrate me if i fished and footied it up all weekend.

But the next few weeks in ready to go
Time for a new mrs.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”