Fishing Report Cup Weekend - Finally cracked a squid, only 2 others to go

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Vargs

Fishing Report Cup Weekend - Finally cracked a squid, only 2 others to go

Post by Vargs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:19 pm

As usual the weather over the weekend was pretty average. Even when 4 days long it seems that the rule is best weather the day before and after each weekend. Early Saturday looked like the pick of the days.

Went out early Saturday morning from Warneet launching just after 6 am and the car park was packed. Everybody seemed to have the same idea.

Tide was low around 8 so on the falling tide went to Quail bank to try for some squid. I have never caught a squid, sized gummy or a snapper so they are my goals for this summer.

Water was very clear and drifted in water around 2-3, only stating the motor when we got too close to the bank and it was all sand underneath. After 10 minutes finally the line go tight and I pull in my first ever quid. The other guy in the boat decides to throw out a jig as well. Over the next hour we get 2 each, all a pretty good size. The jigs were 3.0 and only light colures were working. I also tried black and red but no interest. Really stoked to finally crack one. 3 go one ice for dinner and one for bait.

The wind blew up much earlier than forecast so by 10am it was pretty choppy. We moved out to 10m of water just east of the Tooradin channel. Get the rods out and within 5 minutes a rod with a salmon fillet form last trip gets a few taps, I lift a bit and I am on. This one had 30lb leader. Every time I get a little bit of line it goes on a run and peels out more line. For the first time in WP I have hooked something big that is not a banjo or port Jackson. I keep playing the line for a few minutes and tighten the drag a little and the then leader snaps, so I have no idea what it was.

Question - Do you tighten drag a bit if you seem to not be able to get the fish moving or do you just let the fish keep going and just provide a little resistance so it has to work to pull line out?

After that there is no more interest so we move to a few spots to see what we can find and also for some shelter. Last spot near the entrance to the Warneet channel we pick up the usual banjo and the biggest port Jackson I have caught. It of course gets tangled in all the other lines on the way up. Other than the usual number of small flathead, that is all the fish for the day.

Finish up in the afternoon after many hours of discussing the "one that got away" and hypothesizing as to what it was.

Luckily there is always next trip. Squid down, gummy and snapper to go.
Attachments
IMG_1674[1].JPG
First squid, finally
IMG_1672[1].JPG
The three that went home for a feed
IMG_1673[1].JPG
Port Jackson, as usual plenty of by catch

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Fishing Report Cup Weekend - Finally cracked a squid, only 2 others to go

Post by bowl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Nice ,,, well done

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm

Well done on your first squid mate.
We use 60lb leader as standard in wp, there is too much monster by catch in there to toy with less.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:59 pm

My squid rod is 3 to5 kg rating and Drag set so the it starts to pull out when the rod is bent by a third.
I know some people have the frag set hard and say the rod does the work

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I use 30lb leader and never had them break.
Maybe your line faulty.

I always have the drag set and strike strait away

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Nice report and pics!
Congrats on your first squid :thumbsup:

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:00 pm

well dome mate

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:44 pm

You did not say what your main line breaking strain was but if it was less than 30lb it is likely the leader was the problem. As a general rule if you have pre-set your drag to about a third of the breaking strain of the main line (or leader if lighter than the main line) tightening it up in the middle of a fight is not a good idea unless you are running out of line. If this is the case chasing the fish with the boat is a better option. Having a float on the anchor rope means you can get away quickly. At least the squid should go down well.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Once I set the drag I don't alter it mid fight, if I need extra pressure I just cup the spool, it's much easier to let go if it takes a run rather than fiddle with the drag, once altered mid fight you don't know how far you have screwed it down again.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am

well done on the squid, it took me a while as well to land my first one.
with the drag setting, once you have some experience you will know when to tighten and how much to do it, as a general rule 1/3 the breaking strain of the main line. but that's easier said than done..
personally for me it is, if you cant pull line off with your hand without too much strain then its set too tight. but that all depends on what fish your targeting, where you are fishing as well as what gear your using.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”