WP Top End Fishing Report - PB Snapper

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

WP Top End Fishing Report - PB Snapper

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Forgot to post this sooner, may as well post now :thumbsup:

8 days ago i took my little cousins out who love fishing (only 7 and 9 years old), they don't get to go fishing much and when they do they never really catch anything (unless its on a holiday with me lol). Got out on the water by 8am and quickly headed out to Tyabb bank so i could get a squid for later in the day, only managed 1 before i had to get going to make the tide. Headed out to a spot of mine near Joes Island ready for the tide change, i said to the boys "you're about to catch some Whiting".. sure enough as the water stopped flowing the Whiting came on, both of them catching 2 each between 37cm and 41cm, they were thrilled! And as the water started running they caught 2 decent salmon, they were using 6lb braid on 2-4kg rods, the whiting and salmon put up awesome fights.. was great to see them catch some fish and their smiles were priceless, young kids need to catch fish or else they'll just lose interest so it was great. Then moved around to another spot for them and not much was going on. It was time to take them back in, and that concluded there first trip out on western port :thumbsup:. After dropping them back in i headed out to Quail Bank and managed 3 squid which was perfect, i could now begin fishing, but i didn't have long before the South wind was coming on hard at 15 knots later in the afternoon. I sounded around a new spot for a bit and found some awesome ground, very coraly and reefy that dropped down from 8m - 15m in a short stretch, i anchored in 13m at the very end of the run in tide. 30 minutes had passed with a few taps here and there, the South wind had come on and my boat was now side ways in the current which is extremely annoying to fish in.. so i turned around with my back to the rods for about 15 seconds and as soon as i turned back i saw a massive hit and then it buckled over and was screaming. I really didn't think it was a Snapper because of the fight.. i have never seen a Snapper thrash that much line off ever. As soon as it stopped running it was a rather long slog back to the boat.. with just a lot of weight, it had exhausted itself. At first i thought it was a Gummy, but then i saw the silver, red flashes in the water and sure enough it was a Snapper! as i gently lined it up against the side of the boat i noticed the hook up.. the suicides had pinned him right against the fin, perhaps that explains the fight.. it made sense because when it hit the bait it looked as if it spat it and then after the rod sort of jolted back it then buckled. Maybe because my rod wasnt pointed at the line it felt the weight of the rod tip before the drag pressure and spat the bait, then as it swam away the suicides jagged him? Anyway i got it in the boat and was very happy. Measured at 72cm, 4.23kg my new personal best. Small beginnings i hope, im after Big Red. Here are some photos, i've attached one of the area the hooks got him. Also i don't have any of the photos of the kidos with the fish.. they are on a different camera, ah well. :thumbsup:
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-OXFaZcOhLW.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-FUfghMLSFjkG.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-IUds2MOKnN.jpg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: WP Top End Fishing Report - PB Snapper

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Aell done mate

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:41 pm

smile0784 wrote:Aell done mate
Cheers mate. Loving my first snapper season, just want that big one..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Good work mate! Hooking a fish in the side like that in strong current is a hell of a fight! Keep persisting and that big red will definitely come

Anth

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Good work mate! Hooking a fish in the side like that in strong current is a hell of a fight! Keep persisting and that big red will definitely come

Anth
sure do, took so much line off the spool... Cheers

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Great snapper. Its great to hear you had fun
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times