The Switch - Fishing report from 10th & 11th

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Re: The Switch - Fishing report from 10th & 11th

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:23 pm

purple5ive wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Great effort mate. Your fishing reports keep me going at work even if i do get jealous you are out 24/7.
Just a little tip for you though.
Not sure if you have a live bait tank but if you do it might be worth while chucking the smaller sized whiting in there until you move which for whiting fishing usually isnt that long in 1 spot.
If you throw them back straight away they spook the school and they all become timid or at worse they leave the area.
Its the same when you drop a fish. Usually the bite goes quiet. Something an old timer told me about 20 years ago and ive never forgotten. Seems to of done well for me as most trips I go I keep at least 12 over 35cm

Mind you compared to me you are kicking my arse in the 1st year of boat fishing WP. Well done
Cheers mate. Unfortunately I don't have a Livie tank.. :/, I remember watching a video from winga with some local boys from Hastings targeting whiting and they said the same thing about spooking the school, so I guess it's a bit harder for me then.. I really only want to keep 35 and up, threw a lot back the second day because I had so many from the day before. But I agree, maybe something to invest into soon? Thanks bud
Ive also heard the same drop or release and they go quite.
Did you notice anything like that in your outing since you certainly released a few. Did they go quiet for a bit? Or did you have to move cause they left etc?
Certainly did. Not sure how I'm going to work around that if I'm not keeping fish under 33cm and even then I'm being a little greedy :/

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

well done buddy great read and awesome feed

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Instead of measuring to fit your sizing, just keep any you visually know are above the legal limit. Yes you might end up with a few 31-35cm but it could be the difference between 5 fish and 15 fish. Or get a 40l esky, an aerator and use that to hold fish and remove hooks without touching them. You're generally on the move every half hour at most anyway unless it's a seriously hot bite

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:00 pm

cobby wrote:Instead of measuring to fit your sizing, just keep any you visually know are above the legal limit. Yes you might end up with a few 31-35cm but it could be the difference between 5 fish and 15 fish. Or get a 40l esky, an aerator and use that to hold fish and remove hooks without touching them. You're generally on the move every half hour at most anyway unless it's a seriously hot bite
Alright I'll
Give it a go next trip keeping all legal and see if I end up with a more consistent quality sizing

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Well done mate, killing it

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 pm

purple5ive wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Great effort mate. Your fishing reports keep me going at work even if i do get jealous you are out 24/7.
Not sure if you have a live bait tank but if you do it might be worth while chucking the smaller sized whiting in there until you move which for whiting fishing usually isnt that long in 1 spot.
If you throw them back straight away they spook the school and they all become timid or at worse they leave the area.
Its the same when you drop a fish. Usually the bite goes quiet. Something an old timer told me about 20 years ago and ive never forgotten. Seems to of done well for me as most trips I go I keep at least 12 over 35cm

Mind you compared to me you are kicking my arse in the 1st year of boat fishing WP. Well done
Cheers mate. Unfortunately I don't have a Livie tank.. :/, I remember watching a video from winga with some local boys from Hastings targeting whiting and they said the same thing about spooking the school, so I guess it's a bit harder for me then.. I really only want to keep 35 and up, threw a lot back the second day because I had so many from the day before. But I agree, maybe something to invest into soon? Thanks bud
Did you notice anything like that in your outing since you certainly released a few. Did they go quiet for a bit? Or did you have to move cause they left etc?
My old man was with me last trip and he dropped 2 whoppers at 40+ cm and I screamed at him so loud I think it was louder than the apparent thunder I was supposed to get...
We generally fish the south of WP to target the big whiting. The toadies and small whiting do my head in up the banks. Id rather 10 good fish than 20 small.

When we eat fillets its a proper meal. Small whiting are ok if you want to deepfry them. But big whiting are a treat grilled or on the bbq

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:54 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

My old man was with me last trip and he dropped 2 whoppers at 40+ cm and I screamed at him so loud I think it was louder than the apparent thunder I was supposed to get...
We generally fish the south of WP to target the big whiting. The toadies and small whiting do my head in up the banks. Id rather 10 good fish than 20 small.

When we eat fillets its a proper meal. Small whiting are ok if you want to deepfry them. But big whiting are a treat grilled or on the bbq
Having trouble finding schools of 40+, in deeper water 10/12m I've got them up to 47cm and all over 42 but less of them, that was only in slack water though.. still a lot to learn I guess :water:

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Nice, well done :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 am

Just a matter of rite time.rite place etc

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:21 pm

smile0784 wrote:Just a matter of rite time.rite place etc
Very true. Giving the whiting another run friday, should be good. Im hopeful i can get a better size consistency going.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”