Gummies up top end

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Gummies up top end

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:06 pm

G'day all.

Tomorrow morning im heading out from yaringa as per usual, but the one species i haven't started to full on target in WP since purchasing my boat at the start of September last year is Gummy Sharks. All my focus has gone to Snapper and then Whiting, but now that i've done both of those quite well im keen on the grey shark. I've caught a few as by catch when hunting snapper and also a few with my instincts as well as some whilst whiting fishing.
Im familiar with rigs, baits, and understand the concept of location to fish with an outgoing tide. However, tomorrow i'll be out on the water just as the outgoing is about to end so ill be using that time to catch fresh bait. I will be fishing the incoming for the gummies, but not familiar with what type of location to anchor with an incoming tide. I was thinking that it may not be much of a difference as to what i've done with the run out tide. Using the theory that with an outgoing you are intercepting them off the banks on drop offs as they head for deeper water. Should i be fishing those same areas on an incoming, intercepting them as they look to move in shallow on flats to feed? or should i be shallower ontop of those drop offs etc etc..? I will be fishing up the top end, i was wanting to do the entrance to bouchers and boultons on the outgoing but won't be able to tomorrow. If anyone could give me some hints or their personal experiences on an incoming tide targeting gummies that would help. Not after any great greys here, just looking to learn the species and slowly progress. :thumbsup: cheers. Sam

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Gummies up top end

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Worth grabbing some fresh banana prawns from the supermarket too mate. Dont be afraid to throw on a dirty frozen servo pilchard either, a hungry gummy will happily take it.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm

The theory your using to intercept fish as they move up onto banks etc works for me Id look for a pretty steep drop . Making sure your bait doesn't spin is a must Good luck

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm

I used to just search for a good steep drop off and sit just at the bottom of it. My theory was that they will cruise along the ledges. I prefer the bottom end of channels (closer to ocean) with an incoming tide and the top end of channels for outgoing tide. Some of the WP channels in the top end you can get pretty much all the way to the end of them (you'll want to go slow and use your sounder and gps to stay in the channel )to fish the outgoing tide and when the tide drops low enough all the mud banks and flats go dry forcing any fish for miles into the deep water. Good luck mate. I have also heard plenty of good things about banana prawns in the flooded flats at high tide around Lang Lang but haven't tried it.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:22 pm

Kimtown wrote:Worth grabbing some fresh banana prawns from the supermarket too mate. Dont be afraid to throw on a dirty frozen servo pilchard either, a hungry gummy will happily take it.
I always have pillies on board incase, that stuff doesn’t compare to fresh Trevally salmon yakkas squid, I don’t fish for bigger species without the fresh stuff haha

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:23 pm

rb85 wrote:The theory your using to intercept fish as they move up onto banks etc works for me Id look for a pretty steep drop . Making sure your bait doesn't spin is a must Good luck

Alright I’ll see how I go. Already marked some possible locations with steep drops on navionics so I’ll be trying one of those for the whole tide tomorrow. Cheers

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:25 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Worth grabbing some fresh banana prawns from the supermarket too mate. Dont be afraid to throw on a dirty frozen servo pilchard either, a hungry gummy will happily take it.
I always have pillies on board incase, that stuff doesn’t compare to fresh Trevally salmon yakkas squid, I don’t fish for bigger species without the fresh stuff haha
100% agree with the big girls, but getting a feed of 3.5-4ft flake I have most luck with IQF's I feel. Looking at your WPB posts though I'm sure you will find the fish!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
100% agree with the big girls, but getting a feed of 3.5-4ft flake I have most luck with IQF's I feel. Looking at your WPB posts though I'm sure you will find the fish!
Fair enough mate. Each to their own, whenever I use
Pillies I come up with bobcus. Yet as soon as fresh squid or trevally/salmon go on the hook I come up trumps. All based on experience I suppose

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:06 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Fair enough mate. Each to their own, whenever I use
Pillies I come up with bobcus. Yet as soon as fresh squid or trevally/salmon go on the hook I come up trumps. All based on experience I suppose
Agree throw yakka, slimies even whiting heads into the mix.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Good luck mate, I will be launching at Yaringa tomorrow morning too, but will be having a look around for the whiting. I am planning to spend a bit of time nutting out the Gummies myself over the next few weeks.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”