Best landbased burley

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Best landbased burley

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 am

Hosery wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:
Hosery wrote:Personally I don’t often burleyfor gummys. Quite often as others have said it brings in the rubbish fish. Some times at least they fill in a night between gummys. If burley is done right it works well. If it’s used wrong it can make fishing worse by taking the fish away from you.

Don’t read to much into the bait for gummys. They are scavengers and will eat just about anything. Yes they bite better on fresh baits but I’d still go if you havnt got anything fresh. Definitely don’t discount pillies and squid. I’d say more gummies over the years have been taken by these baits than everything else put together. I also love using eel. Gummies love it and holds on the hook well especially when crabs are about.
Tried some cured eel last week but due to seal lice absolutely loving it, I had big holes chewed out within half an hour of it being out in the water at balnarring.
Na give the cured eel the flick. Always done better with it not cured. And the beauty of eel is that it will freeze fine. I generally during spring catch a few eels and they see me through the summer. It’s not a bait I always use but it seems when ever I put it on catch a gummy with it.
I’ll give some pillies a try next time I head out and see how I go. I’ll look into getting some eel that isn’t cured and see how that goes. Cheers.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am

smile0784 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:For everyone wanting to know how I went - donut, with a big hit that ripped the bait off. The squid seemed to be bitten into, by what... I’m not sure.... but the big hit musta been a gummy or something, because the rod bent and snapped back, the line went loose after that, and I thought damn...lines broken. But it was just missing the bottom bait.
Bad luck mate
Keep trying and you will get one
I dont think gummys can bite threw leaders that fast
Cheers mate, the leader was still on. Just somehow within a microsecond of it grabbing the bait, the bait got taken and no hook up.. the way I put the bait on I’m stumped on how it happened.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 am

Sorry i thort you said you lost the bottom hook

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 am

smile0784 wrote:Sorry i thort you said you lost the bottom hook
No stress.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
Tail only? How do you come to that conclusion?
Ive caught them on full pilchard. Pilchard fillet. Pillie tail and pillie head.
You sure you have fished for gummies for as long as you say you have?
Surely in that time you have used more than 1 kind and style of bait?
Whole, chunks, steaks, fillets, heads, tails, cocktails
I always hear about good fish caught on pillies in the port but I never manage anything bragable on them.. only pinkies
Maybe I just don’t use them enough..
You use 1 hook rigs. That makes it simple. A tail is my favourite bait for flatty, pinkies and gummies.
A head is my favourite for pike, couta and snapper
A fillet is my favourite for big whiting, timid pinkies and trevally.
I never go fishing without a block of pillies. If no fish its a great berley
I don’t always use one hook, depends on the target species and bait. Snapper I like to use snelled suicides with a calamari ring, anything else is a single circle. I always have them on board for berley, never end up using them because I catch squid and so on as bait instead, only use them if I have to
I like to have 1 rod of each out. When fishing for shark at night big teethies are out and about which is why the snelled rig works better for me.
The amount of times the bottom hook has been severed and in the sharks mouth only to be hooked on the top hook is unreal.
Wlways like a small bait and a big bait. Small bait on the single hook and a big bait on the 2 hook rig.

Each to their own i guess

Fair enough mate, covers your options a bit better that way :thumbsup:
bombers take on ur tiges soon... CMON DONS! :notworthy:

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 pm

A-a-ron wrote:For everyone wanting to know how I went - donut, with a big hit that ripped the bait off. The squid seemed to be bitten into, by what... I’m not sure.... but the big hit musta been a gummy or something, because the rod bent and snapped back, the line went loose after that, and I thought damn...lines broken. But it was just missing the bottom bait.

I sent you a Message mate.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:43 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
I always hear about good fish caught on pillies in the port but I never manage anything bragable on them.. only pinkies
Maybe I just don’t use them enough..
You use 1 hook rigs. That makes it simple. A tail is my favourite bait for flatty, pinkies and gummies.
A head is my favourite for pike, couta and snapper
A fillet is my favourite for big whiting, timid pinkies and trevally.
I never go fishing without a block of pillies. If no fish its a great berley
I don’t always use one hook, depends on the target species and bait. Snapper I like to use snelled suicides with a calamari ring, anything else is a single circle. I always have them on board for berley, never end up using them because I catch squid and so on as bait instead, only use them if I have to
I like to have 1 rod of each out. When fishing for shark at night big teethies are out and about which is why the snelled rig works better for me.
The amount of times the bottom hook has been severed and in the sharks mouth only to be hooked on the top hook is unreal.
Wlways like a small bait and a big bait. Small bait on the single hook and a big bait on the 2 hook rig.

Each to their own i guess

Fair enough mate, covers your options a bit better that way :thumbsup:
bombers take on ur tiges soon... CMON DONS! :notworthy:
If i knew you guys wernt on the gear this year id have a block of pillies on it with you. Lets wait til the real stuff starts. Loser owes the winner trip out..

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”