Best landbased burley

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Best landbased burley

Post by Lightningx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:56 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Yea fair call about the fresh stuff, been reading a lot about it. Thinking of heading to jam jerrup beach at high tide tonight about 7:56pm it starts so I’ll be there about 7pm till late. Was going to goto Lang Lang but with the weather up there looking really nice and no wind beside a 8km North/West and 24oC at 11-12pm you’d think a few would be out as tomorrow is looking like raining. Hoping with the emptish beach and sunset just after high tide starts, I’ll be in for a decent night. Just wish the moon was new or full and it’d be ideal! :water:
Let us know how you go.
Good luck! :)

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Sorry forgot to add I’ll be running a running sinker rig with about a 5oz bomb/rocket sinker on 40cm leader and 60lb leader about 45-60cm long with twin 6/0 or 8/0 hooks. Yea tru, thanks for the tip , would stockyard point be ok at night? I’ve got a mate who’s not really a fisherman coming with me so I’ll have some company in case something goes wrong down there and I’ve got a light so I’ll be watching the ground constantly if I go that way. Saw that YouTube video with the 3 blokes taking the short cut, brilliant! :rofl:

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm

Lightningx wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Yea fair call about the fresh stuff, been reading a lot about it. Thinking of heading to jam jerrup beach at high tide tonight about 7:56pm it starts so I’ll be there about 7pm till late. Was going to goto Lang Lang but with the weather up there looking really nice and no wind beside a 8km North/West and 24oC at 11-12pm you’d think a few would be out as tomorrow is looking like raining. Hoping with the emptish beach and sunset just after high tide starts, I’ll be in for a decent night. Just wish the moon was new or full and it’d be ideal! :water:
Let us know how you go.
Good luck! :)

Cheers will do.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:21 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Sorry forgot to add I’ll be running a running sinker rig with about a 5oz bomb/rocket sinker on 40cm leader and 60lb leader about 45-60cm long with twin 6/0 or 8/0 hooks. Yea tru, thanks for the tip , would stockyard point be ok at night? I’ve got a mate who’s not really a fisherman coming with me so I’ll have some company in case something goes wrong down there and I’ve got a light so I’ll be watching the ground constantly if I go that way. Saw that YouTube video with the 3 blokes taking the short cut, brilliant! :rofl:

Try extend your main leader to 1m long and i suggest using a single circle hook for baiting up the fresh salmon you've caught. here is a video demonstration winga did awhile ago on how to bait flesh baits with a single circle, watch from 7mins onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2SDtdPQZM
Thats how i've caught them. If using fillet baits or the squid you bought, best to use your snelled two hook rig.

Go and find out, the tides are very late tonight tho... last two hours being from 11:30pm - 1:40am and first two hours from 1:30am - 3:30am at jam jerrup/stockyard pt... if you are up for that then just be wary of the tides down there, the water floods in very quick and you need to be able to make it back to the carpark without walking through water :rofl:
Not really sure of any other land based locations where gummies are caught on the outgoing tide regularly tho, i've always heard and caught them on incoming. Could try balnarring beach think i've seen a few reports of gummies on start of outgoing tides but could have just been luck, go wherever you thinks best mate :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Dont be afraid to use a humble old pilchard from time to time too

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm

My biggest gummy came in a pillie tail intended for pinkies.
Good luck

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
A-a-ron wrote:Sorry forgot to add I’ll be running a running sinker rig with about a 5oz bomb/rocket sinker on 40cm leader and 60lb leader about 45-60cm long with twin 6/0 or 8/0 hooks. Yea tru, thanks for the tip , would stockyard point be ok at night? I’ve got a mate who’s not really a fisherman coming with me so I’ll have some company in case something goes wrong down there and I’ve got a light so I’ll be watching the ground constantly if I go that way. Saw that YouTube video with the 3 blokes taking the short cut, brilliant! :rofl:

Try extend your main leader to 1m long and i suggest using a single circle hook for baiting up the fresh salmon you've caught. here is a video demonstration winga did awhile ago on how to bait flesh baits with a single circle, watch from 7mins onwards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf2SDtdPQZM
Thats how i've caught them. If using fillet baits or the squid you bought, best to use your snelled two hook rig.

Go and find out, the tides are very late tonight tho... last two hours being from 11:30pm - 1:40am and first two hours from 1:30am - 3:30am at jam jerrup/stockyard pt... if you are up for that then just be wary of the tides down there, the water floods in very quick and you need to be able to make it back to the carpark without walking through water :rofl:
Not really sure of any other land based locations where gummies are caught on the outgoing tide regularly tho, i've always heard and caught them on incoming. Could try balnarring beach think i've seen a few reports of gummies on start of outgoing tides but could have just been luck, go wherever you thinks best mate :thumbsup:
I’ll be down there from about 7pm before dark and suss it out and see what the tides is like an hour before it’s going up to high, got the circle hooks set up. I’ll be down there awhile tonight, so you think the 1:30-3:30am would be the prime time? But I’ll be watching the tides like a hawk being out at stockyard.. Tried balnarring and the weeds were crazy and had a night to forget, not sure I’d want a repeat of that. Must have been some good luck on they’re part.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:02 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
Tail only? How do you come to that conclusion?
Ive caught them on full pilchard. Pilchard fillet. Pillie tail and pillie head.
You sure you have fished for gummies for as long as you say you have?
Surely in that time you have used more than 1 kind and style of bait?
Whole, chunks, steaks, fillets, heads, tails, cocktails

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Seen that you can catch them on pillies, but seems like they only go for the tail only.
You can catch them on a lot of baits whether fresh or frozen, but it’s about putting the odds in your favour, and fresh baits certainly do just that

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”