Western Port Big Gummy Report #2..

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Western Port Big Gummy Report #2..

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:Damn mate. Coming naturally to you now.

It seems slimeys are becoming a regular species around western port all of a sudden... when did this happen?

There was quite an abundance of them yesterday.. I boated 9 and dropped 5 because they’re spastics on Whiting gear. Very good bait mate.
Never caught one in western port. Never even seen or heard of one caught in there tbh
I would have put the yakkas back and only kept slimies

I've heard of them caught every so often but i wasnt expecting them so thick. some pretty big as far as slimeys go, i lost some bigger than these

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:39 am

STriplett1997 wrote:So with my confidence being sky high from the other night Landing the fish I’ve been after..
D87FDAD1-B8A0-4641-9540-7FD9052A87AA.jpeg
I thought I’d give it another crack yesterday. Which turned out to be an excellent idea.
Headed out of Yaringa around 9:30am, boated around for a bit trying to spot out a salmon school but the boat traffic was a bit too much for them I think. Plan B, motor down to Wooleys Jetty and burley, burley, burley. Caught 12 Yakkas and 9 Slimey Mackeral easy. Good start to the day in a flat western port.
Went for a relaxing Squid fish, and then decided I’d go setup early for a Gumbo with the initial plan to fish last light and overnight. Setup on same mark as last time. Fresh yakkas and slimey fillets out, the spread was good.
After working through a couple pinky’s, banjos and a small gummy, my reel screamed so hard I don’t think I’ve ever heard it that loud before. My initial thought was a big eagle ray, because of the size of the runs. However I noticed it was staying deep in the water column so I kept my cool. Started head shaking away half way back to the boat and believe me it was a long fight. Ontop of the surface now and I noticed it was hooked in the gill. No wonder I was questioning the fight, and the sizes of the runs. Took forever to get in the boat with the tide running being foul hooked. But we got there. What a ripper!! Bigger than my other one a few nights ago. Yew !
2EB81752-E00E-4327-9471-62A6C507C303.jpeg
Smashing it now mate, amazing how one catch can change the fortune around. Well deserved hook ups. Keep it up.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 am

On fire now good result. :water:

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:13 am

rb85 wrote:On fire now good result. :water:
Cheers mate.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:13 am

A-a-ron wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:So with my confidence being sky high from the other night Landing the fish I’ve been after..
D87FDAD1-B8A0-4641-9540-7FD9052A87AA.jpeg
I thought I’d give it another crack yesterday. Which turned out to be an excellent idea.
Headed out of Yaringa around 9:30am, boated around for a bit trying to spot out a salmon school but the boat traffic was a bit too much for them I think. Plan B, motor down to Wooleys Jetty and burley, burley, burley. Caught 12 Yakkas and 9 Slimey Mackeral easy. Good start to the day in a flat western port.
Went for a relaxing Squid fish, and then decided I’d go setup early for a Gumbo with the initial plan to fish last light and overnight. Setup on same mark as last time. Fresh yakkas and slimey fillets out, the spread was good.
After working through a couple pinky’s, banjos and a small gummy, my reel screamed so hard I don’t think I’ve ever heard it that loud before. My initial thought was a big eagle ray, because of the size of the runs. However I noticed it was staying deep in the water column so I kept my cool. Started head shaking away half way back to the boat and believe me it was a long fight. Ontop of the surface now and I noticed it was hooked in the gill. No wonder I was questioning the fight, and the sizes of the runs. Took forever to get in the boat with the tide running being foul hooked. But we got there. What a ripper!! Bigger than my other one a few nights ago. Yew !
2EB81752-E00E-4327-9471-62A6C507C303.jpeg
Smashing it now mate, amazing how one catch can change the fortune around. Well deserved hook ups. Keep it up.

Thanks Aaron

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 am

smile0784 wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Bloody ripper mate
Well done
Thanks buddy. The fight was wicked
What aort of gear you catchi g the beast on?

6-10kg ugly stik 30lb power pro braid, shimano Baitrunner OC 6000 reel
80lb Black Magic leader 1.2m long , Gamakatsu in-line circle hooks 7/0

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 am

Well. done top effort once again!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 am

purple5ive wrote:Well. done top effort once again!
Cheers mate. good report yesterday too :thumbsup:

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 am

Nice one mate. Nothing like having a plan, sticking to it and getting the results. Especially when they become consistent! Much more rewarding than just setting out, parking with all the other boats, dropping a line and hoping!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 am

yepi'mon wrote:Nice one mate. Nothing like having a plan, sticking to it and getting the results. Especially when they become consistent! Much more rewarding than just setting out, parking with all the other boats, dropping a line and hoping!
Gotta have a plan mate. Very satisfying feeling when works out

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”