Fishing charter

Fishing charters and hire boats around Melbourne and Victoria
Linc

Re: Fishing charter

Post by Linc » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I went out on red hot charters last year with 4 mates and we did not get a bite on one of their rods, not even the slightest nibble, luckily i took my own light travel rod and got a feed of flatties, otherwise it woulda been a very boring day. Still the most expensive flatty tails ever at about $400 a KG

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Marto wrote:

It cost me $180 not happy
It is not possible for a guarantee on catching fish. We tend to forget the amount of hours that get put in to catch fish.

Alot has to do with the luck of the draw, occasionally you will strike it where there is a bag out session.

For example the skipper, said on tuesday they not only bagged out, but let go either 20 or 30 fish.

We caught basically one snapper per person.

I have been on a number of charters and been fish-less. It has a lot to do with timing and bit of luck for example booking a charter on the right day.

I have been on charters where we caught fish, then go back to the same charter and wind up fish-less. Another charter I went on, they bagged out the night before and the morning we went only managed one snapper.

I have been out with some of the big names in the business and still wind up fish-less.

At the moment I there are only two charters that I will recommend and both are out of western port.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Linc wrote:I went out on red hot charters last year with 4 mates and we did not get a bite on one of their rods, not even the slightest nibble, luckily i took my own light travel rod and got a feed of flatties, otherwise it woulda been a very boring day. Still the most expensive flatty tails ever at about $400 a KG
That's a cheap flathead, :dinner: try about $1,000 for 500 grams of trout. :doh1: :crazy:

Travel for 4 hours set up camp and spend the next 2 days hunkered down in camp because of wind and weather.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Spoke to one of the skippers from Rip Charters a while ago, (at a social function, not while out on the water). This bloke is massively experienced, his words were, "Carl, sometimes we`ll drift over or anchor on a mark, know the fish are there, but they won`t bite, tide, temprature, moon phase, all technically right, but the buggers won`t play ball"
I`ve been out with them several times over the years, (and I`m booked for monday), always had a cracking day, but there aren`t any guarantees in fishing..
Carl..

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Linc wrote:I went out on red hot charters last year with 4 mates and we did not get a bite on one of their rods, not even the slightest nibble, luckily i took my own light travel rod and got a feed of flatties, otherwise it woulda been a very boring day. Still the most expensive flatty tails ever at about $400 a KG
That's a cheap flathead, :dinner: try about $1,000 for 500 grams of trout. :doh1: :crazy:

Travel for 4 hours set up camp and spend the next 2 days hunkered down in camp because of wind and weather.
Agreed with Wolly and Carl. Sometimes it is just the luck of the draw - if the bugger doesn't want to bite then that's our luck for the day. If that is expensive then feel sorry for the bloke next to you on water who had just paid $50k on the new boat set up and still goes home emptied hand at times. This is the thrill of fishing - ableto chase that big one using your skills and with a touch of luck.

There's always next time Marlo :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 am

VooDooMagician wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
Linc wrote: If that is expensive then feel sorry for the bloke next to you on water who had just paid $50k on the new boat set up and still goes home emptied hand at times. This is the thrill of fishing - ableto chase that big one using your skills and with a touch of luck.

There's always next time Marlo :)
Never going feel sorry for a bloke who can afford a 50k boat. :lol: :grin:

Jealous! You bet. :mrgreen:
Envious! You bet.

I have been out more than a few times in my tinny and so far have only caught the pink piranhas.

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:21 am

If you listen to any of the the fishing reports on radio, sometimes they will talk about snapper going into a feeding frenzy and biting their heads off for about half an hour, before shutting down again.

Sat out in the tinny off of Mornington fish on the sounder, 35 degrees, feeling like I am roasting, spend a few hours waiting for the bite, waited for the tide change, nothing and then pulled the anchor and when I got back in the temp was 38.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:15 am

If a catch can be guaranteed everytime we drop a hook, that won't be fishing. There will be no fun at all. I will be like going to the fish market.

I know a charter boat close to the city. These guys only anchor where the bottom is flat and shiny. Took the kids for some R&R with them and sure enough the boat anchored on a runway - flat as a tarmac. My kids were happy catching flatties, so I was OK with that. Then there was this report of snapper so I booked with them. The weather turned bad and it was white caps all over the bay, big waves, uncomfortable fishing. The skipper called the owner on the radio telling the owner that they may need to head back and refund. That greedy owner told the skipper to suck it up, move closer to home, find shelter and finish up the trip. The boat is big so I didn't think we were in any danger but no one was able to fish as we were either sitting or holding on the rails all the time. As soon as I got home, I emailed them my complain. The person who answered my email was apologetic and I was refunded - in a form of fishing trip voucher with them! :angry: :angry:

This city operator is a total opposite of the operator in Geelong - Gone Fishing Charter (owned by John, aka Bwana in Fishnet). I believe he already sold his business though. When I took a one day trip with them to the bass straight, the weather turned bad. We headed back to the safety of PPB and still had some fun. When we head back to the ramp, we were refunded 50% of the rate. We were told the trip was supposed to put us on to some serious fish outside the bay but it did not happen. John said he wont take a full days' rate as we did not catch a decent fish outside the bay. Top bloke! :thumbsup: A month later, I was onboard their boat again.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Return to “Fishing Charters and Boat Hire”