Lake Wendouree Report

BrynnF

Lake Wendouree Report

Post by BrynnF » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Last Thursday I went fishing at Lake Wendouree with a friend in his boat. We launched the boat at about 10am onto the cold windy lake and started fishing. Nothing was happening for about 1hour then we both got a hit so we did the drift again and my friend landed a decent 35cm brown trout. It went very quiet again so we decided to go back to the car for lunch. At about 1:30pm we set off again to fish a different part of the lake and after 1hour of working a reedy bank I hooked a nice fish. After about 3mins of fighting it (fish are pretty sluggish this time of year) I finally landed my personal best trout. It measured 50cm long and we estimated it to be about 4 lb. After a quick photo we carefully released it and kept fishing.
We moved to another part of the lake and we seemed to have hit a sweet spot because my friend was getting a hit almost every drift. After missing and dropping a couple he finally landed another brown about 35cm long. While all this was happening I only got one hit, maybe I didn't have what flies they wanted on or they were schooling up on my friends side of the boat. It went quiet again, the wind was starting to pick up and it was getting dark so we headed back.
Overall a good days fishing.
Flies that worked were a large pink woolly bugger during the first 2 fish then a dark coloured BMS on the last fish.
You'll notice in the pic of my big brown a red hook embedded into the fishes upper lip. This is a good example of why we should all use barbless hooks.

Brynn
Attachments
IMG_20140619_221004_resized.jpg
IMG_20140619_221004_resized.jpg (67.75 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Lake Wendouree Report

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Great work Brynn
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Nice fishing trip ..good read

Cheers bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Nice report and a ripper fish pity you didnt use a barbless hook as for me I will keep using them when I am fishing for a feed if you want to preach lead by example.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Great trout! I was there a couple of times the last few few weeks land based and got doughnuts. Tried different minnows, stump jumpers and and vibes but not strike...

I tried a few spots including the rowing track.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Nude up wrote:Nice report and a ripper fish pity you didnt use a barbless hook as for me I will keep using them when I am fishing for a feed if you want to preach lead by example.
I assumed he does use barbless hooks and he had no issues getting them out. Guess we will find out soon enough! Nice fish anyway Brynn.
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Nude up wrote:Nice report and a ripper fish pity you didnt use a barbless hook as for me I will keep using them when I am fishing for a feed if you want to preach lead by example.
Pretty sure he is leading by example mate and using barbless hooks. Not that I have a problem either way, I fish for a feed. I want anything that will keep that fish on the hook haha.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:49 pm

I have never had a problem getting a hook out of a lip if the hook has been taken in the gut and I am going to release the fish I cut it off close to the hook.and I never assume

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:13 am

Nude up wrote:....................................and I never assume
I do...have to as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt if I can! :-D
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 am

I do use barbless hooks. I have no hooks with barbs as I tie my flies on barbless hooks and if I buy them I crush the barb straight away. Barbless hooks will also increase your hook up rate because the barb adds diameter to hooks so it is harder to set the hook in a fish. As for loosing more fish I know a guide in tasmania who has fished in the world fly fishing championships several times and he said he has never seen a fish lost because of a barbless hook. In my option everyone should use barbless hooks , even if you are keeping your catch because not only will it increqse your hook up rate but if you catch a undersize fish it has more chance to survive when released.
Thanks for all the compliments.
Brynn

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”