First fly fishing lesson

Lanceyc

First fly fishing lesson

Post by Lanceyc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

I had been looking around at multiple fishing clubs in the area looking at learning the basics of fly fishing.
Most of these classes were $300+ for a half/full day.
After advice from people in this forum they recommended I give Brynn call and organize a lesson with him.
And I’m very glad I took this advice and went with him
Me and my dad both found Bynne to be exceptional with his knowledge and very easy to communicate with.
He ran through everything from the types of rods to use (length, weight etc), how to set up a fly fishing rod, types of flies and what equipment we should look at getting.
We were lucky enough it was just my dad and myself in the lesson and he was able to give us a lot of one on one time to help us understand the art of fly fish casting
He also provided links to multiple instructional videos to reinforce the casting techniques and knots that we learned on the day.
For anyone that is looking at taking up fly fishing (or anyone that is after some casting pointers) I’d strongly recommend that you start by giving Brynn a call.

his username in this forum is BrynnF.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: First fly fishing lesson

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:45 am

Lanceyc wrote:I had been looking around at multiple fishing clubs in the area looking at learning the basics of fly fishing.
Most of these classes were $300+ for a half/full day.
After advice from people in this forum they recommended I give Brynn call and organize a lesson with him.
And I’m very glad I took this advice and went with him
Me and my dad both found Bynne to be exceptional with his knowledge and very easy to communicate with.
He ran through everything from the types of rods to use (length, weight etc), how to set up a fly fishing rod, types of flies and what equipment we should look at getting.
We were lucky enough it was just my dad and myself in the lesson and he was able to give us a lot of one on one time to help us understand the art of fly fish casting
He also provided links to multiple instructional videos to reinforce the casting techniques and knots that we learned on the day.
For anyone that is looking at taking up fly fishing (or anyone that is after some casting pointers) I’d strongly recommend that you start by giving Brynn a call.

his username in this forum is BrynnF.

Just you wait until you catch your first trout on a fly.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Glad you enjoyed the lesson. Hope you catch your first fish on fly soon.
Brynn

moeee

Post by moeee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:03 pm

was the lesson $300?

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:11 pm

I only charge $25 an hour and half that for a second person if you choose to bring a friend.
Brynn

moeee

Post by moeee » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 pm

So that would be $300 then for a Full day.

Certainly a bit expensive for a bum like me who sits on the bank with his rod resting on a forked stick drowning worms.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 pm

$200 for a day for one person. But a full days casting is a lot and I would suggest 4-6 hours. We went through a lot on Sunday and by memory it only took 5 hours. So 5 hours is plenty of time to go through basics unless you want a lesson that goes into thing in a lot more detail.
Brynn

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Sounds a fair price for a lifetime of enjoyment

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lanceyc

Post by Lanceyc » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:53 am

Thats correct, we went for about 5 hours on Sunday.
There is a lot to go through if you have never fly fished before and Brynn does go into a lot of detail about the art of fly fishing.
most other classes are about 300 p/p and are usually group lessons.
compared to Byrnn who works on an hourly basis
since Brynn only has 1-2 in the class he is able to give you a lot more attention.
After the lesson I felt confident that a fish is only just around the corner!

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 pm

I would recommend anyone wishing to learn casting and all the individual topics that goes with fly fishing to have a lesson or few first.

A few things not mentioned: where is Brynn? Does Brynn provide the gear? If so I'd say it is excellent value. I've been studying fly fishing and tying nye on 30 years and know less than a fraction of what there is to know. I've seen self-taught casters and although competent struggle to cast anywhere near a full line, you can only learn so much from a video and there's no one there to correct your mistakes.

Sounds like the perfect father's day, birthday, Christmas, anniversary present to me.

At Brynn - ever fished the Usk?
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”