Fly fishing help and a small Mildura report..

robbo101

Fly fishing help and a small Mildura report..

Post by robbo101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:27 am

So after a week at Mildura I have spent some time with my brothers fly rod learning how to fly fish. (After carp with a bread fly, no luck though even when we put out real bread as burley!) As I don't mind trying to catch some trout every now and then I was thinking about buying a fly rod and reel. Just wondering if people could recommend a rod and possibly a reel for around the 150 mark, 4 piece rod would be good for storage and transport.
I don't want to spend too much as I'm not sure how much I will use it. I am open to second hand so long as it is in good order.

A quick report on Mildura fishing. As usual you can catch carp with just about any bait and a hook!
As for the natives etc we picked up a few little silvers on both corn and shrimp, and the one time we parked the ski boat next to a log for a quick fish we also got a 50cm cod.
Prob the most encouraging thing to note was that the water was a clear as I have eve seen it for that area. Pity I didn't have the tinny to do some trawling or flicking lures in the snags!

Cheers, Rob.

Rod Bender

Re: Fly fishing help and a small Mildura report..

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Sounds like you had a good time! We have a few fly fishers here...just depends on when they read your post...you should get a response!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:35 pm

If you can still lay your hands on one of these...

http://flyforums.proboards.com/thread/6 ... trout-rods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a cheap reel, it only holds the line. I'd match it with an 8 wf floating line, I like Lee Wulf but Cortland do an acceptable line. Pack the reel with backing.

I successfully used rubber bread, but you may need to go to a foreign site? Shorten the leader to about 1 metre.

Sorry for the late response, off-grid most of the time.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 am

Thanks for the report. We're going to be in Mildura in about 5 weeks. Any area you can recommend where we can camp along the river and fish. Thanks again.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”