Also getting started

LightninLopez

Also getting started

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:55 am

G'day all,

So I'm taking the plunge and I'm gonna get into fly fishing. Already had a lesson to go over the basics and I've researched a fair bit about equipment. So, two questions:

First, where's good to go shopping? Ideally I'd like to get everything I need in one go and strike up a bit of a relationship with the folks who run the place so I can get advice on flys, future equipment, etc.

Secondly, what's good to read? I reckon a guide to Victorian rivers would be excellent as well as some general info about technique, etc. I like ploughing through books on fishing for some reason...

Oh and I'm based in the northern suburbs. Reckon I'mma get my setup fixed up in the next couple of weeks, spend a month practising casts and reading and then I'll be ready to hit it when the season opens.

Cheers!

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Also getting started

Post by Basti » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:47 pm

I dont know any shops up north but Hurley's fly fishing is a decent place down the south east. here's a site that has a bit of info on vic waters. I don't know how current the info is but it's a good start.
http://www.troutfishing.net.au

Who did you get the lesson from? I really should have done one instead of trying to learn by myself. I know I've gotten some really bad habits already.

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks for the website! Got the lesson from graham at Southern Fly Fishing Adventures. Top guy and we had a great time. I reckon I'll go out with him again for a full day once I've got myself started a bit more and my cast doesn't suck.

http://www.southernflyfishingadventures.com/

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Check out if there are any fishing clubs in your area.
I visited a club last week (for a different reason) in Mitcham and there were some pretty knowlegable fly fisho's there, so I'm reasonably sure you'll find something in your area with some top blokes.
Maybe chat to a couple of blokes on here as well who do well fly fishing and maybe go out with them.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Aussie Angler in Greensborough have a decent range of fly fishing stuff I think. They might be your best bet if you're in the north.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:34 pm

The fly fisherman in the city is absolutely fantastic and carry literally anything you could possibly need! Plus the guys who work in there are about as knowledgeable as they get.
As far as a good read id pick up as many copies of fly life as you can, theyre a really good source of knowledge and have information on everything from casting to fly tying
Hope this helps
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

LightninLopez

Post by LightninLopez » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:42 pm

Beauty - great tips there. Thanks guys! Will make sure I post when I get my proverbial **** together and get out there.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm

Aussie Angler or Hurleys or Armadale Angling are all great places to start with gear. keep it simple to start as the gear can get pricey when you're starting out.

There is a lot of youtube that will help as well. start on your local oval to practise, put a stick/cup something out the front of you and work to cast near it & then hit up an open stream or lake.

good luck, its a lot of fun.
quid est quod eum

pwalnuts

Post by pwalnuts » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:31 pm

+1 for Hurleys, Armadale Angling and Fly Life magazine. I started fly fishing about 18 months ago with a lesson from Hurleys, was $100 well spent.
Fly Life has a forum as well, not nearly as active as this one but there's a lot of good info on there and a classifieds section if you are after any second hand gear. Given the price of fly fishing gear, I think second hand is not a bad way to go. Good luck with it, I'm think I'm slightly addicted, all my other gear has mostly been gathering dust since I picked up the fly rod :)

Edit: Meant to give you a link to this kiwi guy's Youtube videos, I've found them really helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdvCH1vA80

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 pm

Check out the Red Tag Fishing Club - Legendary Fly Fisho's /// Before lashing out and buying a set up, Join a club and learn the fundamentals, maybe borrow a rig - Do not forget, Practice / practice / Practice - I used to practice trying to cast a Nymph Fly into a 10 Litre bucket from 40+ feet in my sideway , accuracy is paramount, as is reasonable ability to cast 0 Good Luck

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”