I NEED TO CATCH A FISH!

Jucfishing

I NEED TO CATCH A FISH!

Post by Jucfishing » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I've been fly fishing for a month now and I'm struggling to catch a fish. I've been tying my own flies but I've pretty much only fished the cumberland river which isn't very smart because i have come to the realisation that the trout there are very spooky and are extremely smart. I need to catch a fish for a school project and i don't want to take any chances. I only have this weekend and I'm happy going about 2 to 2 and a half hours out of torquay. I don't mind what species just PLEASE HELP!
Cheers

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: I NEED TO CATCH A FISH!

Post by Boonanza » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Mate I would go to Moorabool reservoir it has some great fishing there and not too far away from where you are.
Also maybe get in touch with thebigal_au he has a good video from earlier this year as well.
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=20605&p=267003&hi ... ir#p267003

Good luck mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Barwon river if you want a salt water fish and not fussed what it is..... done dusted.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 am

Does it need to be on fly?

If not, there are lots of beach near torquay to rain lures on

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 am

If its just for a project and you need to be guaranteed a fish just for this occasion go to a trout farm. I just looked this one up on the internet and they said you can take your own fishing gear. Its only 1hr 45 away from you. Just a thought

+61 3 5345 6233
TUKI Trout farm
60 Stoney Rises Rd,
Smeaton, Victoria 3364

Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Windknot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:06 pm

You've only been fly fishing for one month, you say. Are you sure it's not your technique? Maybe you're scaring the fish by lining them or slapping your line down too hard. You're also tying your own flies, which is good, but are they suitable for the conditions and are you using them correctly? Are you fishing at the peak times of the day, dawn and dusk? Your lack of success might not be entirely due to the trout having been over fished.

Maybe you could give a Barham River, upstream from Apollo Bay a try. It usually fishes a little better than the Cumberland. There's also the Wild Dog Creek on the way which is well worth a try. A bit further on, past Apollo Bay, the Aire River upsteam of the Great Ocean Rd is also well worth a try.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 pm

Jucfishing wrote:Hi everyone,
I've been fly fishing for a month now and I'm struggling to catch a fish. Ikend and I'm happy going about 2 to 2 and a half hours out of torquay. I don't mind what species just PLEASE HELP!
Cheers
Welcome to the world of Fly fishing, if you really want to catch a trout, then there are a few people who will give you tuition up around Alexandera,

Or go to a trout farm, there is one near eildon that has a pool for the fly fisherman.

People spend decades perfecting the art of Fly Fishing, so it may take you months or more before you catch your first fish, I remember mine, I was standing in the Tumut river, using a brown nymph when my line just came up solid and I landed a nice rainbow.

Bait and lure fishing will outfish the amateur fisher all the time, it is only the elite fly fisher who out do every one.

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:22 pm

l agree with windknot about locations on the Great Ocean Road,l don't know anything about fly fishing but on a recent episode of the afn fishing show they were fishing all the little creeks along the Great Ocean Road using flies and lures and catching trout,sometimes only 50m from the beach so l would fish every piece of water between where you live and probably the Aire river.
Good Luck
:cheers:

Jucfishing

Post by Jucfishing » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for the great responses everyone! I’m still unsure where I’ll go but I reckon Barwon heads on high tide or maybe some trout streams in the otways, but I’m also unshre about the wind because apparently NE isn’t great for trout?!

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”