Getting started in fly fishing.

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by bugeater » Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 pm

I bought a saltwater fly combo from BCF and wasn't too impressed. That said the line that comes in those combos is usually rubbish - it improves greatly if you get a semi-decent line on them. I haven't gotten another saltwater line for it yet. My first rod was a cheapy from the US and it's fine when you overline it (put on a higher weight line than the number on the rod) with a better line than comes with the combo.

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:14 pm

what brand was it? they have a gillies and a abu garcia combo that ive seen.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Sun May 05, 2013 11:14 pm

sasquatch972 wrote:what brand was it? they have a gillies and a abu garcia combo that ive seen.
I got the Gillies saltwater combo. It was during that heat wave and I was forced to try fishing in the salt. Had absolutely no success at all, but I gave up on the flyrod pretty quick. But it may be okay with a better line on it.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Tue May 07, 2013 11:25 pm

I reckon joining a fly fishing club is the best way to learn how to fly fish. NSFFC is a club in yarrambat which meets every Thursday, we have a casting pool with a light and several certified casting instructors which come each Thursday. Visitors are always welcome. http://www.flyfishing.org.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "You need a lot of practice to get the fly out a good 30 feet and its very tiring" haveing someone to pick out your mistakes and teach you to do new things like the haul will help you a lot. After getting your technique right you will find it easy to cast distances heaps further than that and will never get tired. I only started casting about 1 and a half years ago and can cast almost cast 100 ft with a five weight. Normally a kit will have cheap things which are poor quality and getting advise on what to get from a shop like Aussie Angler Greenbourgh or The Complete Fly Fisher in the city will help. In salt you need good quality gear and a reel with a sealed drag so buying cheap will be no good. You could get a decent fly fishing combo for about $300 - $450. A 9ft 5 wt rod is the best trout rod to start with.
Hope this helps.
Brynn

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 pm

I agree a club isn't a bad way to go. I did the beginners course at NSFFC and it helped my casting heaps, though most of the rest of the stuff you can learn by yourself. Probably not so helpful for Jim though, since he is in Shepparton, though I'm sure there is a local club.

Gear-wise, I think Ebay is worth considering, since you can pick up some good second hand gear cheap, though of course you can't try it out first.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 pm

There is a fly fishing club here in Shepp. problem is with rotating work roster any consistency attending these things is difficult. I go to Aussie Angler several times a year when I visit my sister in Rosanna. I have shares in the place as it is! :D
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 am

I went for a beginner's course run by pro angler with a mate. they run it at noojee trout farm so after you have learnt how to cast you get into some fish in the catch and release pool. I'm terrible at it, had to have my hand strapped to the rod, I did enjoy using wolly buggers.

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:26 pm

i did it, bought a flyrod combo.. bought the Pflueger 8ft 5/6wt flyrod combo, went down to karkarook today to try it out after i was done bait/SP fishing but had no confidence lol
think i may need to get some new line for it though, whats a good brand to go for?

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Mon May 20, 2013 12:40 am

I've got one of each of the major brands (Rio, Scientific Anglers, Cortland) and they are all fine for their various tasks. Just make sure you get a floating weight forward line. Probably a 6 weight given the rod you have. The line I use most is a Floating Weight Forward Scientific Anglers Mastery Textured, but I'm not sure the exact type (I think it is for distance casting, but I can't remember the exact taper). Someone else may have a bit more of an opinion.

I think a good way to build confidence is to cast dry flies at rising fish. Then you at least know a fish is there. But you will need to use a fly the fish wants to eat. Lately the only trout I've been able to pick up have been fish rising at dusk, though sometimes (like this evening) even that isn't enough.

Also, try the fly fishing university here: http://www.cabelas.com./browse.cmd?cate ... t104721480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 pm

bugeater wrote:I've got one of each of the major brands (Rio, Scientific Anglers, Cortland) and they are all fine for their various tasks. Just make sure you get a floating weight forward line. Probably a 6 weight given the rod you have. The line I use most is a Floating Weight Forward Scientific Anglers Mastery Textured, but I'm not sure the exact type (I think it is for distance casting, but I can't remember the exact taper). Someone else may have a bit more of an opinion.

I think a good way to build confidence is to cast dry flies at rising fish. Then you at least know a fish is there. But you will need to use a fly the fish wants to eat. Lately the only trout I've been able to pick up have been fish rising at dusk, though sometimes (like this evening) even that isn't enough.

Also, try the fly fishing university here: http://www.cabelas.com./browse.cmd?cate ... t104721480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yeah i found some Scientific anglers on Ebay, and was wondering if its a good brand.. i guess it is haha.
most of the flys i own are dry flys, do you need to have an indicator for dry flys or are they more a wet fly type of thing? forgive if its a silly question but i know basically next to nothing.
i had a practice last night casting in the backyard where no one could see me lol, sorta getting the hang of it. The next step on equipment though is to get some waders that will fit me, body size is easy but they all seem to only go to size 13 in the Shoe, im 15-ish :(
rixter wrote: I Agree ;) , It's a good time to learn , as trout usualy rise late arvo on dusk for a feed on the surface when the bugs come out.
(Also anytime of the year is great time to learn casting by getting out the kids hooler-hoop , throw it on the lawn, and try to land a fly in the hoop casting !) .

When learning to cast fly's, this is a perfect opportunity to learn by trying to drop a dry fly right ontop of a surfacing trout. Get this method right/ hook a few/ and learn where the trout are , then you can proceed to a wet fly knowing where the trout are under the surface / usualy using a different fly patter too to a dry fly /when they aren't surfacing.

I've found in the past light coloured flys good for dry flys (whites , light browns, bright reds) , and darker flys like the nymph pattern for wet submurged flys, or dark browns to dark green and black patterns.

Oh , also, it's a hell of alot easier to learn to fly fish on a 'still lake' first , compared to fly fishing a 'running river' first up !

Cheers , Rick.
i might have to wait till june to see many surfacing trout when they stock the local lakes again, dont think many are in karkarook at the moment but then again those fish will probably prefer bait pellets anyway, there was a father and son down there yesterday wading out about 15-20m fly fishing yesterday but didnt really get a chance to go watch them.
but thats been my idea, go down to rowville lakes or somewhere rather local and practice casting, i like your hula hoop idea though, i will have to go give that a try soon! thanks for the tip!

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”