Getting started in fly fishing.

Rod Bender

Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:48 am

Well I asked for this section so I thought I may as well start it off! I have thought about taking up fly fishing (for trout) but have never bothered. Main problem being I have knee problems and can't wade and can even have difficulty walking along the bank. My plan was if I could lose some weight then I will look into fly fishing.
So when I work at times on an orchard I look at the nearby channel and see carp mooching around the edges. I think they would be a prime target for fly fishing. So I then think, may as well learn to fly fish and pursue the carp as the channels are easily accessible. A good way to practice and if my physical capabilities ever improve, lookout trout! Am a bit tight with money at the moment but over the rest of this year I may try and implement the following plan!
1) Research - internet and books.
2) Get some lessons
3) Buy some gear
4) Look at joining the local fly fishing club
5) Show the carp who is boss!
How does this sound for a plan?
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Getting started in fly fishing.

Post by ChrisD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:46 am

Sounds like a great plan. A mate of my bought me a fly outfit when i was about 18, practiced nearly every night out in the paddocks and actaully got quite good. But then girls, cars, work....all the usual things when your 18 got in the way and i never ended up getting on the water. A couple of house moves later and the fly rod was broken and i just never replaced it. My oldest daughter however has shown an interest in trying fly fishing on Lilydale lake. Maybe it is time I went and priced up a cheap begineers outfit and we both gave it a crack again. The Lilydale fly fishers club even have a "come and give it a crack morning" on weekend's, might be a good place to start.

Thanks Jim - you have turned the wheels of inspiration.....

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Don't do it guy's,you cant go over to the dark side,they will have you C&R ing carp & calling them sport fish before you know it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with your pursuits :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ,lots of people enjoy it, i've even tried it and managed to catch a trout,was in lake taupo in NZ so was hard not too :lol: :lol:

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 am

Good work on getting the fly forum up Jim. I think that your approach is a good one and it will be nice to have someone to talk feathers and furs with.I noticed that the forum is not over flowing in posters and have been toying with the idea of offering a how to session up on the yarra at Warburton one day next week if anyone was interested.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm 15 and i started learning how to flyfish when i was about 10, you need alot of practice to get the fly out a good 30 feet and it's very tiring. The trout do like flys better than bait i would say so it's all worth it
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:38 pm

wading not drowning wrote:...........and have been toying with the idea of offering a how to session up on the yarra at Warburton one day next week if anyone was interested.
I could be interested but just have issues with being called up to work (casual) at the last minute. Also have issues with the heat if it turns out to be a hot day. I am stuffed!
thanks

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bugeater » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 pm

If you have a club near you that does a beginners course, that will knock off a couple of the things off your list. That said, the most I got out of the course I did was the casting - most of the rest (knots, what each fly is etc.) you can learn yourself if motivated.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
wading not drowning wrote:...........and have been toying with the idea of offering a how to session up on the yarra at Warburton one day next week if anyone was interested.
I could be interested but just have issues with being called up to work (casual) at the last minute. Also have issues with the heat if it turns out to be a hot day. I am stuffed!
thanks
Well my second job on an orchard (pruning) is starting next week so thaat ends that! Welcome to the site bugeater.
Jim

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 am

Hello Jim,flyfishing does have it's rewards naturally theres a few hard yards to be had initially with learning to cast & refining that
techniche down to a fine art,but having said that one can get quite alot of satisfaction out of this method of fishing from spotting the fish & watching them gulp your fly to shooting blind & getting the fright of your life when that unexpected take comes out of nowere.

If your reel keen in pursuing your adventure i strongly advise you lash out a little more,buy a few essential tools & have a reel crack @ tying a few of your own flys.Dont get me wrong it's a great thrill catching a fish on a fly but an even bigger thrill catching a fish on a fly you have tyed yourself,regards Murph......
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:24 pm

i am also looking myself at getting into fly fishing, the fly fishing rod combos at BCF look pretty good. i Also might have a look at hook up bait and tackle in FTG as when ive been in there they seem to have fly fishing lessons advertised. Only problem ive got is finding a set of waders big enough...too tall and fat for standard sizes lol

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”