Warburton fly fishing intro session.

wading not drowning

Warburton fly fishing intro session.

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:19 am

G'day folks,just wondering if anybody would be interested in a bit of a fly fishing intro up on the Yarra this week.The best days look like Tuesday and Wednesday.

samchan

Re: Warburton fly fishing intro session.

Post by samchan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 am

Went there Monday the 18th, near the bridge behind the football club, nothing around. I do not know where is the best place around there?

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 am

That's where I had planned to do the intro samchan.There is some great learning water through there although it fishes much better in the spring.

Steve0408

Post by Steve0408 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Guys i'm new to Melb and i'm desperate for somewhere to fly fish (other than a trout farm) any ideas??

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm

Steve0408 wrote:Hi Guys i'm new to Melb and i'm desperate for somewhere to fly fish (other than a trout farm) any ideas??
Welcome aboard :wave2: You may like to post an Intro of yourself on the link below.
http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewforum.php?f=36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry but I can't help re: your fly fishing question. As the cooler months are here now I'm not sure if much fly fishing is done? But I am no expert. May I suggest you start a thread in the fly fishing section asking the question on the link below. This may get more attention as opposed to this thread.
http://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewforum.php?f=182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks

Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:22 pm

As Jim mentioned , being the cooler months , don't expect too much on a dry fly atm. Come spring is the best dry fly fishing time as the fly represents alot of bugs around, and on the surface of the water that time of year.
Although , I have hooked a few smallish trout on a dry fly recently on dusk. A wet fly would be more of the go this time of year if your were going to fly fish during the day imo, just don't expect too much or anything big atm.
If your on the east side of melbourne and don't mind travelling up to 3hours at the most, I may be able to put you onto a few good rivers for fly fishing.
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Jeffs_gone_fishing

Post by Jeffs_gone_fishing » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:16 am

Steve0408 wrote:Hi Guys i'm new to Melb and i'm desperate for somewhere to fly fish (other than a trout farm) any ideas??
Where are you located, how far are you willing to travel?
The Goulburn river around Alexandra and Eildon is good this time of the year, the water flow is a lot more stable and the insects are active during the day, so you should get some nice dry fly action. As winter kicks in you're better off fishing the lakes and reservoir around the Ballarat district for smelting trout. Another good winter option are the 3 lakes near Kyneton, Malmsbury, Lauriston and Upper Colliban.

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”