Barwon Heads Fly Fishing

BrynnF

Barwon Heads Fly Fishing

Post by BrynnF » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 pm

I went down to Barwon Heads 2 weekends ago with 3 other fly fisherman after a casting comp in Geelong. We started fishing at about 3pm about an hour after high tide. Instead of fishing from a jetty we waded out to the gutters from the ocean side of the river mouth.After a couple of cast i felt a fish bump my fly (white clouser) so i kept casting to the same spot and it was not long before i was into a fish. Not a big fish (about 20cm) but lots of fun on a trout sized rod (5wt). After that i worked up and down the gutter that i caught that fish in and slowly caught about 4 fish and had a bite off. After that it all went a bit quiet.
We all kept fishing and about 1hour before low tide we found a school of salmon in some slower water. All four of us were lined up along this gutter catching fish after fish every cast. When it got dark we all headed back to the cars. One of us had counted every fish he caught and it was 27 but the other three of us caught and hooked more due to having less stiffer rod and being able to feel the bites. So I caught over 30 Australian Salmon. One of us also caught a small flathead and another a small whiting.
Even though the fish were small they were ALOT of fun. SO if you are going to barwon heads try to go 2hours before low tide and cast lures into the gutters and you will have fun. Remember to wade to cover lots of water and find the schools of fish.
Thanks
Brynn

The Image is of the first fish i caught.
Attachments
Salmon.JPG
Last edited by BrynnF on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raco09
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Barwon Heads

Post by raco09 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:55 pm

i thought you were selling barwon heads for a minute there. lol :rofl:
To fish or not to fish...NOT TO FISH ??Yea...like that's even an option !

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:25 pm

raco09 wrote:i thought you were selling barwon heads for a minute there. lol :rofl:

Don't give him ideas :icon_lolz:

good to see, that fly fishing is not just for trout.

BrynnF

Post by BrynnF » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 pm

raco09 wrote:i thought you were selling barwon heads for a minute there. lol :rofl:
Just trying to make a helpful report and hopefully get more people interested in fly fishing, no need for your smart ass comment.
Brynn

Bobby

Re: Barwon Heads Fly Fishing

Post by Bobby » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks Mate. you have given me some ideas. And I am new to fly fishing and am going to give it a go this weekend maybe. It was a good fish report for me coz I learnt about when salmon are on the bite and where to catch. Thks

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Barwon Heads Fly Fishing

Post by barra mick » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Nice report mate

Even though I got bored with it a few years ago its still a great way to fish for trout.

Nice fishing

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”