Beginners combo

Kuerschie

Beginners combo

Post by Kuerschie » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Been reading through all the flyfishing posts on here and have a few questions regarding flyfishing. I'm looking at purchasing a 5/6 weight combo that won't break the budget of around $150 just for the combo and line. I'm looking at targetting trout, redfin and carp on it. My questions start with I think a simple one:
1. Are fly reels universal like spin reels? ie can you use a fly reel in both salt and freshwater? I'd be looking at targetting salmon, bream and perhaps school mulloway in the salt as well if its possible.
2. What sort of length of rod would be good for a beginner? I have seen lengths from 7'8" to 9'. I usually target trout in skinny creeks with some impoundments as well on occasion.
3. Based on my criteria can anyone recommend me a budget combo?

Cheers everyone,
Leigh :)

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Beginners combo

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Can't help you too much on the reels but for a rod i would suggest you get a 8'6" or 9' as these allow you to fish in most situations but if you intend on fishing real small streams and not much else you might want to drop down to something more like a 4 weight in a shorter length but this would be hard to use on large impoundments, windy days or with weighted flys.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks Mazman, I was thinking that the length would have to be shorter due to the creeks I mostly fish in. I think I might try to find one around 8'-8'6".

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 pm

I have an 8'6" 5 weight that i do the majority of my fishing with. and something i forgot to add earlier is once you decide on what rod weight and length you want there's the action to talk about, a slow action 5 weight can feel more like a four weight at times and a fast one can feel like a six. the biggest piece of advice i can give you is to join a group or forum dedicated to fly fishing.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

yogibearrrr

Post by yogibearrrr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 am

fly clubs like the one at lilydale will let you try it out first 1 or maybe 2 times without joining up, this would help you alot with casting and advise too. i only have a cheap combo that i got from anaconda and if willing to wait and keep checking they often have them on special. if cheap, there are some fishing shops around that have cheap combos, or anaconda/bfc and i noticed big w have one of the same combos that bcf sell, though never tried that one http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... 4407#Cross" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thats the one big w have cheaper.
someone else will answer better but saltwater reels have better bearings in them, you probably want sinking line for that too.

Steve_h

Post by Steve_h » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:32 pm

AFAIK you could use the same reel for salt and fresh but you would need a spare spool and different lines as the line would behave differently in each type of water.
A 9ft (or 8ft 6) 5/6 weight is a good all round rod to start off with, but for real skinny creeks I would suggest looking at a 3 weight of around 7ft.

Hibbert24

Post by Hibbert24 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 pm

i bought a 6wt 9' combo for 300ish from the fly fisher in the city a year ago as my 1st rod to fish small creeks and lakes and I've loved it as an all purpose set up but now looking at getting a nice 3wt around 8' for the smaller creeks to help serve my addiction. you'd need floating line for the fresh water stuff and I'm guessing sinking line for the salt water fish?? and highly recommend joining a club to help with casting and all the other fun things they can teach you to help catch more fish!

GTSHoon

Post by GTSHoon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:07 pm

I bought a scientific angler starter pack, its a 6wt and comes with flies a reel and some pre-spooled line so far ot has served me very well!
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”